Canon Fodder

• March 28, 2024, 08:59:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross-Platform Support  (Read 14990 times)

kitling

• View Profile
Re: Cross-Platform Support
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »

Maybe on Mac.

Linux people are used to having to keep track of which dependencies they need for a particular application. No sense burdening people who already have it installed, or need to install some weird fork version because their rig is made of two laptops with no hard drive.

Not all Linux people are used to that. I find it annoying sometimes, when I cannot install a package normally (using apt-get), that I have to install all of the dependencies. There are people, who are fresh off of WIndows, switching to Linux, who would find all of this confusing. No matter what OS somebody is running, it is going to be easier for the person running it to just have it bundled, instead of having to download/install Mono, and then download/install MonoGame.

Ahem...

What I meant by a bundled version, is a version that doesn't need to be installed: You click on a script or a binary, which calls the bundled runtime with the executable as the target, and it runs the game with the bundled Mono runtime. The point would be so that people don't have to worry about the dependencies, no matter what OS they're on. Additionally, the main EXE would be available, in case the person running it wants to use their own version of MONO/MonoGame.

You could also include just the MonoGame library with the executable, so that the game doesn't need to install extra libraries. Or just do none of these things. Depends on the amount of time you are willing to spend on trying to make things work.

Keep in mind, I'm just throwing ideas around now. However, that's the beauty of experimentation: You play around, and see what works. I will see what I can do after I try porting a game with available source code based on XNA that is available online.

Wow. I've started typing big responses. I'll just go now...

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
  • The evolution will continue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »

The thing is, I've installed some indie games that packed in their dependencies in the past, and it's always been more work than just throwing that crap away and doing it by hand.

This is probably because the guys making the packs are only slightly more skilled than I am.

There's a difference between being lazy and knowing your limitations.

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »

Wow.  You guys have been busy in my absence.
My life is super busy at the moment, but should settle some soon...but my computer died, and needs a new Hard Drive before I can do any more programming. 

Not to worry, I got everything backed up when it started to die, it's just a pain.  I should be able to order that in the next couple weeks, after everything settles.

That said, MonoGame looks simple enough to implement.  I had it installed on my computer, but I obviously won't now. :P  I figure I'll finish the game as-is before I worry about cross platform implementations.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »

This is super busy?

Dude, our forum is basically just me, and the occasional random person that I lure in from original recipie virmir.com, with the promise of dwarf tallow cookies.

That said, The interface is ju~st different enough that I'm not sure which way would be easier, but at the rate we are producing code, we need to not rock the boat just now.

That said, could you update the canonfodder front page to indicate that progress on SW has continued and will continue to continue once your machine is replaced? The currect newspost implies that you haven't worked on is since June, when the fact is that you use what time is available to work on it, rather than to update the newspost.

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »

Sure I can...just have to dig up the right page, since the hard drive I had it bookmarked on went bork. :P

kitling

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »

Sure I can...just have to dig up the right page, since the hard drive I had it bookmarked on went bork. :P
Yeah, stuff like that can be tough.

As a progress update, nothing much has happened because my computer started doing weird things (again). As such, I have not been able to access the VM.

Whyyyy~!

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »

Computers, man...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 05:19:32 AM »

...and then his ISP was bought out by a much more expensive company. :o

Please pray for my my brother, I fear we may never see him again. :'(

All joking aside, it looks like he's going to be even harder to reach than usual for a while.

kitling

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 08:35:10 PM »

...and then his ISP was bought out by a much more expensive company. :o

Please pray for my my brother, I fear we may never see him again. :'(

All joking aside, it looks like he's going to be even harder to reach than usual for a while.

Oh dear. That can't be good.

Joking aside, well... No progress, whatsoever.
I got my laptop working in prime condition again (video card driver issues), my desktop... has not been touched in a while. I'm afraid to do anything. Kind of. Bleh. I really should. I'll go do stuff with that now.

Cya!

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »

For the moment, I exist.  Once they terminate support...we'll see what happens.

Not much to report, really.  Trying to get everything here ready for the winter 'ere winter arrives in earnest, so not much computer stuff of late.

kitling

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »

So, my desktop is close enough to being dead right now that I don't touch it. So, sorry, no matter how interested I am in this, I'm not going to be able to run anything in an emulator for a bit.

Good news, I redid my laptop (again) so I have a distribution where everything isn't so out of date that I can't install anything new without adding repositories for the things that whatever I'm trying to install depends on. This means that I can play Dwarf Fortress, finally.

I'll also try to get MonoDevelop (Xamarin Studio?) on my laptop, and try doing domething.

Hopefully I'm not especially busy through this semester.

So, that's that. See you another time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up