Canon Fodder

• March 28, 2024, 09:43:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Further delays and inconvenience, but some good news!  (Read 4240 times)

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
Further delays and inconvenience, but some good news!
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »

So it seems I lost a bit more work than I thought I had with Shadow Wolf.  A significant portion of the netcode didn't get backed up properly, and that hard drive is pretty much dead.  Unless I can find a backup, or manage to recover it from that drive, I'll have to recreate most of that from scratch, which sucks.

On the other hand, I had to rebuild the rest of the project again, since XNA is no longer supported by Microsoft, and is thus incompatible with Windows 8.  So I imported the old code into MonoGame, which is where I'll be working for now.  This should make cross-platform support simpler down the road.  Hopefully.

On the plus side, I've managed to get it ported over well enough to have discovered the missing netcode, so that's progress.  I think.

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
Re: Further delays and inconvenience, but some good news!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »

More good news than bad news today.

The good news is it doesn't look like I lost as much as I thought I had.  The majority of my networking code still seems to be in place, although I did lose the Text Chat system, which includes my Keyboard Entry parser, so that's gonna' take a bit to rebuild.  Further good news is the game compiles and plays again, and runs at 60 FPS again, as intended.  I had to rewrite some of my Sprite draw function (the part that keeps it from drawing things you can't see and slowing down the system was part of what I lost, but as far as I can tell, the rest of the Sprite functions are intact).  It wasn't a hard fix, though it took a bit to find the problem.

The bad news is that Monogame doesn't support the XNA pipeline completely yet, so if I want to add new fonts or sounds, that's going to take some trickery.  Either that or I'm going to have to find an alternative sound engine, but that might be the better option, regardless.

Welcome to 2015 everybody!  Let's make it a good one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up