Canon Fodder

• April 25, 2024, 09:28:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that can happen. [Suggestions]  (Read 6757 times)

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
  • The evolution will continue.
    • View Profile
Things that can happen. [Suggestions]
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »

There's a lot of work (a veritable ocean) yet to be done with scripts and triggers yet, but that just means there's more room to adjust the plans, per your input.

Beyond the obvious "If Object X enters Area Y, run MapScript 12" and "Whenever Object A is activated, run CharacterScript 32," is there anything you'd like to see in the way of event triggers.

Also, character special moves are basically just complex scripts that play out over a short period of time, so if there are any must have functions that you want to see characters able to invoke, we'd love to hear about them.

Moving characters, causing and removing damage, adding status effects, and changing character specific variable (i.e. setting up a two part combo, swapping the character for another type, or switching to an alternate form of mobility) are all just the basics. What's the craziest thing you might want to see happen? I especially want to hear about potentially problematic abilities for characters.

Faith

• View Profile
Re: Things that can happen. [Suggestions]
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »

Hm...
Hahaha. Now I am NOT a big gamer; I just haven't had those resources... (time also being a resource...)

But I can give you really dumb generic ideas you've probably already thought about or from the limited number of games I have played. XD XP
Also, I don't know a lot of what you have set up or are planning. So you might already have these down or dismissed them and I wouldn't have a clue.

Like...

Will it be possible to acquire new weapons and abilities/strengths as you go? It would be really boring if you just did the same things the whole way through. Things have to be done differently, look different... et cetera. Variety!
Heh. I like variety. But... that does mean more work. So... ... ...

And... I'm not sure on terms... but those maps your working on... will we be blindly stumbling through places, or will there be a map that we, as players, see and use?
Will the map be formed as we go, or pre-made? (I think it's fun to make it as your go... feels more venturous and intriguing when you're making the discoveries...)

Will the rooms look notably different when you go through them? It's better when there are enough differences to make each place sort of memorable - you know where you are if you're in the same place twice.
But that's another question...
Will you be going through the map once? I heard it was an escape... so it might be that people will just go through the place once just to get out... not going back or double-tracking... but that kind of matters to a lot of what I am wondering.

That is probably enough, for now.
"Art is only perception. Simple sounds, matter and actions may become great art, while great art may be only simple sounds, matter and actions."

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »

The background for each room can be unique and it's trivial to create new objects that behave like old objects that look different.

At one point we were looking at Adding a lot of metroid-vania style elements, like unlockable mobility powers (find the jump orb to gain a double jump, etc.) and mazelike levels with a map that fills out as you explore, but as development continues we're finding a lot of our priorities in conflict.

Every character is going to handle a little differently, but will need to explore the same levels. That means that each character would collect the same upgrades, but possibly gain different abilities. We're not sure that's something that would be feasible to balance, particularly with our focus on moddability.

Indeed, making sure that every level is travereable by each character will be a major timesink, which we have not yet begun to approach, and we are cautious about making decisions that would further complicate the process.

The core function of unlocking abilities in a metroidvania game is to allow players access to new areas that they couldn't reach with their old abilities (providing new mechanics to keep the game fresh is nice too, but it isn't really the point). However, cooperative multiplayer is a major part of the experience we're trying to craft, and we wouldn't want players to be shut-out of the areas where their friends are playing. Thus, we would want to focus on obstacles that could be circumvented by one player, for the benefit of all. Castlevania HD recently built an entire game around that concept, and it led to a game that was mostly played by memorizing the levels and planning everyone's path in advance.

If we can think of a way to implement the mechanics without leading to dry repetitive experiences, we'd love to do them, but for the moment I think it's best to just give each character access to their full move set, and then place them in situations that demand different choices as the game progresses. This does have it's own drawbacks, as players don't always like being forced to change their strategy, without a major clue, like a new ability that needs to be tried out anyway, to let them know what their supposed to do.

This is part of the reason I've started trying to focus on adding depth to the combat system over the platforming mechanics. It's far simpler to introduce new enemies, who can then provide a different sort of challenge to each character. Getting close to a character with powerful ranged attacks is a totally different puzzle depending on how your character moves, and how quickly, and might not even be the best solution, if you have powerful ranged abilities of your own. That moment when you figure out that a certain move can easily counter an attack you previously found unbeatable is one of the most gratifying gaming experiences for me. (I'm not the most skilled gamer around, but if your strategy has a weakness, I can usually find it and exploit it enough to even the odds.)

That's part of the reason I'm looking for new ways for characters to behave. Complexity isn't the same thing as depth, but complexity provides more tools for adding depth.

Still, an auto-map would be really nice, and we're been working on some ideas about how to implement one. Filling in the map is one of the most fun parts of exploration platformers, and there doesn't seem to be any reason we can't have one.

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »

We've been thinking about that?  The auto-map functionality never even occurred to me...

Yeah...unlocking powers as you go is always nice, but anything that gives a character a different method of movement, at the very least, would need to be unlocked from the start, and stay that way.

I still like the idea.  I'm just not sure how viable it will be, here.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:31 AM »

I am certain I talked to you about this several months ago.

Honestly, it's like nobody listens to anything I say.

--Of course, that was when we were designing that one test level, with the cave and everything, so it might have got lost in the shuffle that was organizing that.

Dragyn

• Bane of the Cosmos
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Fodder
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »

Hmm...my apologies, then.  I may have a vague recollection of such a thing, but nothing solid enough to be certain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up