Canon Fodder

• April 27, 2024, 01:14:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collaborative Story telling [rules]  (Read 4673 times)

bloodreaper

Collaborative Story telling [rules]
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »

This isn't really a competition, or a role playing activity, so I'm putting it here for now.

This is a co-operative game. Each player posts three words. Use whitespace and punctuation however you want, but you can only have three words, per post. You may not double post to get six words in a row. Proper grammar is required outside of quotes, and encouraged at all times. Knowing your parts of speech, makes this game much easier, but you aren't likely to need to diagram these sentences.

If you can't say what you want in six words, try to give the right impression in three, so the next player is lead to say what you meant. It isn't required that you work together and do exactly what the previous person expects (Where's the fun in that?), but co-operation is necessary to create a sensical story.

Instead of always adding new elements, bring back existing characters and ideas. Causing old characters to appear in places that weren't described yet when they were introduced could result in Sluggy Freelance style nonsense, but that's part of the fun. Remember that, while the characters and places are free to every player to re-define,  some people will take exception, if you overly malign a character they introduced.

English words only, please, this story needs to be readable in a single language. Likewise, you are not Doctor Seuss; act like it, and use real words, unless it's absolutely critical to give something an exotic name. Even then, techno-babble is superior to gibberish.

The actual, game will be in a separate thread, which is for entries only. Any rules questions or commentary should be  kept in this thread.

Try not to to discuss the actual story too much. It's better when people have different understandings of the plot and characters, which slowly become closer as the story develops.

Faith

Re: Collaborative Story telling [rules]
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

Oo... sounds like fun. ^_^

Why, however, does it need to be readable in sign language?

bloodreaper

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »

"in a single language."

Dragyn

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

...I think it'd be difficult to write it in sign language.

Faith

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »

Er... that was... um...
Dumb.

How about we put that in the "Stupidest Thing you've ever done" or whatever it's called... >.<
Wow... I was being extremely observant, yesterday...   ::)

Gryphor

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »

so we are writing a very weird story

Faith

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

Indeed we are.
About what I am not entirely sure, but it is interesting.
(Though, honestly, who are we basing the story on, the farmers or the cow? Well, no matter, a cow is an interesting way to start... ... ...   :P  )

bloodreaper

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »

I just goes wherever it goes. The trouble is, you usually have people trying to set up a novel length story arc, but usually people only stay interested long enough to make about 1 page of text.
Pages: [1]   Go Up