Canon Fodder

• March 28, 2024, 01:01:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PE Page 27  (Read 10568 times)

Dragyn

PE Page 27
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »

New comic!

Yeesh, a lot of experimentation with the shading on this one, and with 2 separate sets of shading, to boot.  

Yeah, this one took a LOT more work than any of the ones that came before.  I know, it's not very impressive looking, for all the effort I put in, but I think it was worth it, nonetheless.

Anyway, I hope the flow of this one works, and that it's clear what's going on.  

So...Questions?  Comments?  Criticisms?  Complaints?

EDIT:  Oh!  The Thanksgiving image has been moved to the Extras, where it belongs, now.

Fox

Re: PE Page 27
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »

Oo...I think I'm gonna like CJ.

The shading looks great, especially with the fire panels. I can never quite nail that..

Dragyn

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »

I'm not really sure that I nailed it, m'self.  It's certainly an improvement over my past attempts, but it still feels a bit off to me.

Faith

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »

Well it looks pretty good to me.
Heh.

Okay, I was wondering how that all came together. XD

Is that... a traveling bus-thing for dead people and people who look like mad scientists?

Dragyn

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

It is the train.

This is what is looks like from inside car #4, that's all.

Faith

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »

Oh. XD

Are there a bunch of evil-like red eyes on that train, or just one set that shows up around the place a lot?

Dragyn

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »

Oh, this train is full of glowing red eyes.

villageelder

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

As an expert on trains, i'm excited that there is one in the strip. however, honestly, i thought it the inside of a church. LOL.  

surpised that i was able to catch up on almost two years of reading in just over an hour however.  

Dragyn

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm a tad behind my initial schedule.  I really need to get back on the ball with all of this.

A church, huh?  Hmm...
Anything you'd suggest I do to make it more train-like?

Faith

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »

I was actually thinking a little something sorta' like that, too.
Only I thought...
A cross between a bus and a waiting room.
It just doesn't have so strong an impression of being a transportation facility.

I think it might be that it's so spacious. (Which might be part of the church impression, too.)
Passenger trains tend to be condensed to the point of looking rather uncomfortable.   :P
With narrow walkways and... maybe smaller benches spaced in rows that are rather close together so that there is little leg room.
And maybe it's just the train, but the ceiling looks unusually tall, with the windows situated rather high up (church impression?). I guess that the windows would seem to usually be about seating height, for the sake of the passengers... that way they have something better to look at than everyone else and the walls... even if they can't see anything out the windows. They just have to have something to look at so that they don't feel dumb while they look at nothing. XD
I think the thing with the ceiling's height is that it contrasts with the width of the floor.
Lastly...
It might be specific to this train, but I guess I might expect more things indicating such forms of travel... like stability... perhaps in the form of handles/bars or poles or something... and luggage compartments.

I've never actually been on a passenger train.
 :P
But... I've seen them in movies... (I... actually really hate that line).
They manage to make them have a convincing impression that's train-like to the general public, anyway, and that's what I've derived from them.   ::)

Edit:

And just so that I wouldn't totally obliterate my integrity by believing what I saw in movies, I looked up pictures of passenger trains on Google... for assurance. XD  

I suppose I might have been implying an image more like this, but... considering the train, not so plush or modern and of a different design/shape... ya' know... like a creepy Pending Else train with glowing red eyes in dark places...:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/diesel-locomotive-passenger.jpg

Er...
Sorry, was that my rambling at you?
Or giving advice?
 :P
It really isn't all that distinguished to me at this hour. XD

Dragyn

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 04:11:00 AM »

Hmm...I briefly considered adding in luggage compartments, but I figured they wouldn't be used--this is a death train, after all.  You can't take it with you.

I probably should have added in some sort of mid-height bar, or something, alongside the seats...

...and the ceiling is deliberately higher than standard.  If you look at the outside of the train, you'll note that the 4th car sticks up past the cars in front of it, and has a weird warp to the top.

That's the car this scene is in.

There are other passenger cars on the train, but CJ usually uses that one, since it's close to the front of the train.

villageelder

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »

i second the notion that the windows are too high.  grab handles and poles are usually on subways, and buses in areas that move a lot of passengers in a car, this ones almost empty so i dont' think that's the way to go.  of course this all assumes the rules of our world apply in yours.  passenger trains often placed the benches facing in alternating directions, L J L J L J, kind of setup, so as to allow passengers to talk in transit as well as made the car pull-able from either end without worrying about which one is the front.  

I'd consider some kind of lighting, maybe a candle chandelier,

baggage compartments don't fit, they are on airplanes, trains have a dedicated car for luggage of coach passengers, which i guess this train doesn't need.

the only pic i've seen of this train is the wallpaper in the extras, and it doesn't show car 4, is there another drawing somewhere else?

Faith

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »

Yeah... this train wouldn't need any luggage compartments.   :P
Oh, maybe I was thinking about the wrong thing. I was thinking about the places where they put smaller luggage or other things the people would want to travel with, like books or something... I see them in trains, they're in that picture, but I'm probably describing them wrong.   :P

Heh.

That's the only one I've seen on the Internet.
Would there be any others?

Dragyn

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »

There are other drawings, though they'll probably never meet the in'net.

Hmm...Looking at the other drawings I have of this train (outside), I have to concur that the windows are a little high.  The seats on this car don't alternate because they're mobile.  These seats aren't stuck to the floor.  They could face any way I want them to.  Of course, in this case, I could put them on the wall if I wanted to.

Hmm...Ah well.  I don't think I can change that comic, now, since it'd be a lot of work to fix.  I could, but my time would probably be better spent on future updates.

Hmm...don't they normally have an overhead compartment for carry-on luggage?  Ah, well.  None in this car, either way.

Faith

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 04:17:00 AM »

Heh.   :D

Maybe we'll see the outside of the car when CJ gets out of it. Or maybe later when someone's getting on.

Okay, so I know this is a particular train and this probably wouldn't happen, but now I've got a great mental image of something like that bus on Harry Potter, with all those unsecured beds flying around. XD

I doubt anyone expects you to change it. Heh.   :P    :)

Yeah, those are the things I meant. XD
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up