Canon Fodder

• March 28, 2024, 11:11:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DF2014 succession game  (Read 12165 times)

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
  • The evolution will continue.
    • View Profile
DF2014 succession game
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »

Dwarf Fortress 2014 edition is now considered bugfix complete (any remaining bugs won't be fixed until the 2015 release, so get used to them kids.)

The fall semester is rolling along in most western countries, so our younger viewers are likely to have stable internet access, and a motive to procrastinate. That means that it's the time of year when things get slightly less dead around here.

That makes this the perfect (or at least optimal) time to start a Dwarf Succession game.

We do things a little different from the typical DF succession game.

First of all, there is no waiting list.
When your turn is done. Give the save file to whoever wants it and is available. It's more important to keep the thread moving than to ensure that people all get the same number of turns (many players decline their second or third turn anyhow).

There is no time limit. Traditionally games hand off after a player has played 1 in-game year, to ensure people don't wait too long. With a forum our size this miserly rationing is hardly necessary. Feel free to play for 5 years  if nobody is waiting or 5 months if you're not sure that running a fortress in winter is right for you, and you can convince another player to clean up the mess you made in the fall.

To ensure that our gameworld is smooth running for those with less powerful machines, we will be playing a smallish fortress zone in a small world.

To ensure there are plenty of trade partners, it'll have to be a fairly young world. (DF2014 has some balance issues were many most worlds fall to goblin blitzkrieg in the heroic age, leaving no playable races.)

I'm not going to waste time taking a poll over what you-all want to see in our site either. This generally degenerates into " I dunno, whatever you guys want to do." I'm going to pick a site based on what's fun, rather than what's smart.

I'll be back with an in-character introduction of our site.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:54:54 PM by Felblood »

kitling

• View Profile
Re: DF2014 succession game
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »

Sounds good! I've been meaning to play some Dwarf Fortress, perhaps this'll give me incentive to do so?

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »

Felblood's Journal.

1st Slate:  I've finally gotten my site charter. I'm so excited! The frontier is where I belong! I was born for this!

Even the dumb name they gave my expedition won't bring me down. "SorrowFated the First Dead"? Lame! What is that even supposed to mean?

Anyway, the plan is simple. We're going to march right down tho the southwestern edge of the Wall of Volcanoes (the central mountain range on the Smooth Continent), where they meet the Swamp of Numbers. Once there, we will build WeasilSplatter the Subordinate Time.

From here we will build a hall the be the envy of the mightiest mountainhomes, and export a plethora of goods and weapons to secure the might and prosperity of the dwarven people of Shem Alak, even against the northern goblin tribes that have so badly mauled the human and elven peoples.

Our caravan will take an anvil, two picks, two axes, farming supplies, food to last us until the summer harvest and a breeding stock of dogs and yaks. (The weather is on the cool side of temperate and I want pasture beasts that will survive a hard winter.)

I've handpicked a team for this mission:

1 Myself: People say I don't have a lot of common sense, but I'll show them. I was never cut out to be another cart pusher, working for a wage until the day I die. My background is in trade and negotiations, but I can manage people. With a good team behind me, I can accomplish anything. (Felblood is a Novice trader with good analytical skills but poor judgement and a reckless streak. I'm playing this as her being a skillful leader who puts... an excess of faith in the dwarves under her command.)

2 Olin: Slow to Tire and Strong. Olin will dig our lodgings. He has an artistic side to, and can touch up the place with carvings, once the rough digging is done. I'm glad to see a dwarf willing to put his dreams of artistic renown on hold, until the needs of the fortress are met.

3 Tobul: A mason. Tobul will carve the ornate thrones and statues of our great halls. --just as soon as she is done practicing by cutting the million tons of stone blocks needed to build our city's walls. She's one of my most reliable team members.

4 Kol "The Chopper": Kol Is a bit gruff even for a dwarf, he doesn't mean to be rude, he just doesn't have a good feel for other people's reactions to what he might do. That's why he prefers working outdoors, away from the fortress. This makes him perfectly suited for work chopping wood in the marshy rainforest. Plus his skills with an axe will come in handy if he runs afoul of any swamp animals.

5: Sarvesh "Dopey the Village Idiot" : He says he has experience working on a farm, and everyone who has worked with him couldn't vouch for him enough when they heard he had applied for a caravan leaving town. I'm placed him in charge of several major industries important for our survival. He'll be managing our rocknut and mushroom gardens, as well as tending to the yaks.

6 Zefon : As our carpenter, he's in charge of turning all the cut timber into boards, furniture and trade goods. Zephon is the oldest member of our team at 86. That's still fairly young for a dwarf, but I often hear him complaining of tiredness or aches. Nevertheless, he has a perfectly clean bill of health from a master Diagnostician, so I'm certain he'll hold out when the going gets tough.

7 Morul: Another steady hand with a pick. Young Morul is only 53, but a fine addition to the team. I'm counting on his youthful agility and stamina to carve out a space quickly.

Together, we Strike the Earth!

For the Glory of all Shem Alak!

NOTE: Dwarves who are not members of SorrowFated the First Dead will probably get less attention in my subsequent posts, unless they become important. I gave these folk a better overview since they are most likely to either become great, or die horribly.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:16:44 PM »

The founding of the Sorrowfated:
 A Chronicle of Weaselsplatter.

15th Granite: The journey is complete. There is much to do to get us started.

I've set both miners into boring into the rock, and digging an alcove where we can start some mushroom gardens.

The woodworking team is cutting trees, and making them into workspace for carpentry and masonry. Once those are up, we can start making some furniture.

5th Slate: Production of furniture of both stone and wood has ramped up swiftly. I've had to designate some areas of the meadow for the furniture to be piled until we can make a space in the workshops. I hope this doesn't get rained on too much before our quarters are ready to have it moved in.

1st Felsite: The wave of blooming cotton-grass flowers sweeping across the meadows is marvelous to behold. This fortress is going to have a vacation industry, or I am a kobold.
Our rocknut trees are likewise blooming, and I've asked dopey to gather some of the edible herbs growing around the garden cave. I see radishes and some other human-type foods.

8th Felsite: We've got deep enough into the mountain that I'm comfortable cutting rooms. The dormitory is operational with 3 beds and I've designated places for my office and my personal quarters. Once those are done, we'll start on

26th Felsite: This failure is mine entirely! Two of our dwarves are injured in a tragic accident, or my own making. We were dropping a ledge off of the side of the mountain, to prepare the way for the city's defenses, when I neglected to restrict traffic in the area below. Another Moriul, the other miner, and Zefon the carpenter were struck by falling rock. Thankfully it's only minor cuts and bruises, but it could have been a lot worse. This must never happen again.

1st of Hematite: The Early Summer planting is under way.

19th Hematite: My office is finally ready. I can finally get to work taking a proper inventory of our supplies. I know that the area where we've been digging is rich in magnetite, a n ore rich in iron, and I'm eager to get a tally of how much.

26th Hematite: Some migrants have arrived! They heard that we were planning an expedition to a resource rich area, and came seeking their fortune. I welcome such brave and hearty Dwarves to the Halls of WeasilSplatter.

Total Newcomers: 4

Significant skills:

Keb, a trained grain thresher. He's certainly seen a farm before, which is more than I can say for Dopey over here. He's also going to help work the farm plots.

Kib Bronseswallow and Big Kol:Kol smelts ores and kib crafts them into trade goods. We have an idle anvil, and they have the skills to make it into goods.

Classy Meng: not only a high master chef (we've been living on raw mushrooms and radishes) but a highly competent jeweler. braised lobster and gem encrusted goblets here we come!

19th Malchite: A series of additional minor digging accidents has delayed our progress, so we do not yet have workspaces for our new citizens. We do however have our new farming areas set aside, so we no longer have to use the alcove we dug by the wagon. It's good to know that our farmers will no longer have to face the dangers of the surface world.

17th of Galena: The summer crop of mushrooms is coming in. --and none too soon. Quarry bushes and rocknut will fill our bellies, but without something we can ferment into beer, my crew will turn on me. Both the miners are already spending more time on break than can be healthy. (I think Olin might be bugged, he just breaks all day in the rain, even when he's tired and needs to sleep.)

9th of Limestone: Autumn crops are going down in the new gardens. It may be too late. The Booze is gone. Can we survive half a year without booze? Booze is the blood of the fortress. Come spring we should be able to ferment some roots and berries, but until then we are in serious trouble.

11th of Limestone: A caravan of traders from the motherland is passing by. I've persuaded them to bring their wagons to our trade depot. The caravan leader is a trade liaison from home. If they can supply us with booze for the coming year, statues of him will ring that depot.

17th Limestone: The trade negotiations are a disaster! The trader has an entire wagonload of booze, but I could not persuade him to take an interest in any of our  own goods. The traders have decided to move on with their journey without giving us so much as a drop. May the forgotten creatures of the deep places grind their bones!

I was able to make arrangements for a caravan to come by next year, so if we can survive, the path to survival is clear. Our trade agreement is to import a wider variety of seeds and a supply of dwarven rum for axes, armor, stone toys, and wooden crutches. We should have our share ready by the time the caravan comes back next year.

It is imperative that we have enough axes and stone toys waiting when the caravan returns, as we will be paying almost double the usual rate for these precious barrels.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »

Sounds good! I've been meaning to play some Dwarf Fortress, perhaps this'll give me incentive to do so?

You want year 2?

I'm going to try to finish Year 1 tonight, and maybe a little more to fix the damage I've done to the booze supply chain.

kitling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »

You want year 2?

I'm going to try to finish Year 1 tonight, and maybe a little more to fix the damage I've done to the booze supply chain.

I want to, but I probably shouldn't, as I'm doing several things at once as it is... It might take me a while... Or forever...

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »

Felblood's Journal (Continued)

22 Limestone: I finally figured out why Olin isn't doing any work. He's placed himself on medical leave after smashing his hand open on a rock. Lacking a hospital to report to, he's opted to place himself on bed-rest on the spot. The others have been bringing him food and water, instead of telling him to get his fool self out of the rain.

I've taken the job of chief medical dwarf and set up a room as a temporary hospital.

10th Sandstone: Salvation! Nestled between the hills, south of the wagon, there lies a hidden grotto teeming with plant life. Melons, Berries, and lentils will make the brews to sustain us until spring!

Also, Olin is getting on well in the hospital. I'm fairly certain I can stitch him up, but with no soap to sanitize my hands or instruments, I may do more harm than good.

16 Sandstone: More Migrants! Brave dwarves, to place their lives in our hands.

Two wood burners and a second wood cutter will produce charcoal to feed our forges. This is good because a lack of coal is preventing me from ramping up axe production.

Oddom Helmsraked is a real armorer. Rather than goblets and trade goods he makes armor. Clearly we need a second anvil.

Degel I have made our cropmaster. If half the tales he tells of his planting prowess are true, he'll be a marked improvement over our currant farmers, who can focus on their core skills of threshing and chewing on their own feet, respectively. (Adequete Grower, Expert Liar.)

Sarvesh is a craftsdwarf. He makes trade goods from wood or bone. I'm concerned that our woodcutters might overtax the forests, but the dogs have killed a number of wild monkeys of various species. Their bones would make fine toys for the children of the mountainhome elite.

Fancy Oddom is a professional Trader. I must confess that my failure with the caravan has left me reeling, so I have made him my minister of trade, and chosen to focus on administrating the compound's internal affairs. Also he tans hides as a hobby. I can live with that, so long as I lock my doors at night.

Asmel says she came to the frontier where her military training would help her to advance. I am more concerned with the fact that she has a gift for distillation. Meet the most important Dwarf in the Fort. I dub thee: Lady Boozegoddess!

A Lyemaker and a soapmaker tell me they can make soap from the ash our furnaces will produce. Normally I would begrudge these two showing up in a city this small, but today I will make an exception, for Old Olin's sake.

Sibrek Cryptpolished knows how to milk a yak. Somehow that name doesn't sound like it belongs on a cheerful milkman, but none of us gets to choose our parents.

Total Population: 22

20th of Timber: Still trying to get furnaces online, to start all other industries. Finally caught up on some of our mining, so I am sinking some exploratory shafts in search of coal.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

You want year 2?

I want to, but I probably shouldn't, as I'm doing several things at once as it is... It might take me a while... Or forever...

That's why there's no time limit. If you find you don't have time to play you just drop the game on the next player partway through the year. The goal is to be more organic that other succession games and clear those obstacles to participation.

Also: I think that's it for me tonight. Might not be back for a couple of days too, so I hoped to have it ready, but I really want to push through to spring.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:36:48 PM by Felblood »

kitling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »

You want year 2?

That's why there's no time limit. If you find you don't have time to play you just drop the game on the next player partway through the year. The goal is to be more organic that other succession games and clear those obstacles to participation.

Also: I think that's it for me tonight. Might not be back for a couple of days too, so I hoped to have it ready, but I really want to push through to spring.

Ah, Goody. I suppose I'll try, then.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »

<<Back in character>>

20 Timber continued: It's not all bad news. Fancy Oddom has just informed me that some booze just hit the stockpiles, and wasn't immediately signed out to be drank. It's one pint of ale and two pints of wild prickleberry wine, but that hasn't happened in months. If the Booze Goddess continues to bless us, we may be able to stock up enough to keep our industries running through the entire winter.

If we can get our industries online, we can produce equipment for our militia to train and fight in, and goods to trade for supplies. However, as everyone knows, a dwarf without enough booze in her system will work at half-speed or slower.

Already we are seeing a huge turn around. The furnaces were all built just today, and we are ready to start producing charcoal for the forges and ash for the soap factory.

It's been a very eventful day.

26 Timber: Zefon has crafted our first masterwork item, a bucket. This is the beginning of a great legacy for WeaselSplatter!

28 Timber: Another day to mark. We've run out of plants to brew, but our stock stands at 25 tankards of drink. If we can scrounge up some more plants by the end of the month, we just might make it.

Additionally, Sarvesh, the craftsdwarf, has declared his intent to create yet greater masterwork than Zephon's, to really make our name shine for the world. He has sworn that he will forge an artifact, or die in the attempt.

3rd of Moonstone: It's officially winter now, but there's enough green left in the fields that we can try to grab a few useful herbs from the mountainside, before the snow comes.

Sarvesh has found everything he thinks he'll need and begun construction of his mysterious artifact.

6th of Moonstone: The brook has frozen solid. It's officially too bloody cold. I knew things would be colder toward the south nd of the continent, but I am now epecting a brutally cold winter indeed.

I'm moving all possible operations deeper into the mountain and placing heavy rock-salt doors over the entrance. We don't want to lose any lives to exposure.

8th of moonstone: Sarvesh's reputation as a bonecarver will be set in history for all time.

It is a spiked axe made from the bones of a hoary marmot, but it's so much more than a weapon made from an animal my dog ate most of. He's managed to weave strips of cloth into the handle and blade such that it forms an image of the coronation of Kaing Sazkul (may he live forever!). Not only that, but the construction is beyond amazing. I would trust this blade over any iron axe.

Moonstone 25th : We're eating a lot of weird things, like soup stock rendered from marmot fat and grilled melon vines, but thus far I've managed to convince he dwarves not to eat any of the mushrooms we produce on the farm. We have plenty of other vegetables, which the booze goddess has informed we are unsuitable for brewing, but safe to eat. I'll grant that I probably wouldn't want to eat anything brewed from spinach leaves, carrots, or the vine part of a grape plant, but I would've thought she  could do something with the Yams. Maybe that's just the mellon wine talking.

She's managing to make mushroom beer about as fast as we can drink it --for now.
Degel is getting more out of our mushroom spores than before, but in this winder cold, even his plantings grow more slowly.

Speaking of cold, I am trying to get cutter out of the forests, and indoors. He'll be our militia captain for the winter. I'll have to get him some combat gear, so he can practice using his axe for more than wood chopping. We'll need him to lead our civilian milita, if the goblins or kobolds try to raid us. I've ordered a second anvil, some helms and a suit of chain armor.

It's only going to get colder, and a lot or our workbenches are still set up outdoors. We have some spaces cut out for them, and it's time to move them.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »

Out of character update:

I have two daughters now.

I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few weeks, but I'll try to get the save file uploaded somewhere you can get it.

Advice for my successor:

Now that we're not going to starve, the chief dangers are cold and goblins.

There's not much you can do about the cold this winter, other than try to dig quarters and dining halls deeper down under the mountain, where the weather will have less effects. Thankfully most of our migrants came with boots cloaks and mittens, so until we have more babies, we should be okay.

Until we can grow a spring crop of pigtails or melon vines, we don't have any way to produce more warm clothing in quantity. There's not enough fibers to weave more than a few cloaks. We have a small handful of hides, I've been meaning to make into boots and mittens for our woodcutters. Do what you can, and try to make us ready for next year.

We haven't seen any activity from the goblins yet. Judging from the arrowed corpses, the caravan did slay a couple of kobolds. I just didn't notice becasue they shot so many monkeys.

That's going to change. Un-enslaved Humans and Elves are nearly extinct in this world. Only dwarves have manged to not be absorbed by the goblin hordes.

Grab a handful of guys we can spare and schedule them to practice wrestling and armor use during the winter months. The main obstacle to getting started is getting the militia commander a suitable office set up, before appointing him. Then he can start drilling the men. I doubt we'll need more than one squad, but you might think about zoning a couple smaller offices for future militia captains.

Felblood

• Crazy Pirate
  • Pirate Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »

Clicky for save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10002

Ugh. The hubris to think I could finish this thing. I barely got this thing uploaded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up