Canon Fodder

• April 18, 2024, 02:50:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A true Story  (Read 9214 times)

Faith

A true Story
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »

We were camping for the Summer because my parents were splitting ceder posts to earn money.

I was walking around the campsite by myself, eating a ham sandwich as I walked - and then I heard the dogs start barking like crazy from somewhere in the woods, and they were getting closer. Instead of being afraid like I should have, I started walking right up to the edge of the woods - glad it came out when it did, otherwise I would've gone into the woods and froze, probably nose to nose, in front of a giant black bear out of hearing range of my mumbles from my mom.

Anyways, getting ahead of myself, as usual. The dogs came out of the woods first, and I walked right up to one and put my hand on her back and said, "What's wrong, girl?'

It didn't take long to learn what was wrong. The next thing to step out of the woods was a large black bear. I'm not just saying it was large to me, being a four-year-old and all; my mom said it was big, too.

The distance between me and that bear was probably around two or two and a half yards.

I guess I was just a little girl, didn't know what to do, never seen a bear, face to face, by myself. I was so shocked... but, oddly, more in awe than fear... I never did learn to be smart enough to fear things when it can save your life. If I was afraid, I probably would've went straight to the airstream door, like I should have... but instead I did something worse than that by far.

I stood there, maybe two yards away from this huge black bear, watching it snarl at the dogs and toss it's head, holding the stupid ham sandwich I was just eating a while ago, and managing to do nothing else but murmur, "Mom, there's a bear-- Mom, there's a bear-- Mom, there's a bear..."

In less than half a minute, Mom ran outside that airstream, grabbed me and tossed me in through the door, and closed it behind me. I landed hard on the floor and looked up to see my three-year-old little sister looking eagerly down at me. "What is it?" she asked excitedly.
"A bear," was my blunt reply. I got up and we both hurried to the window, but couldn't see anything. We were to short to see out any window but the one over the bed, and nothing exciting could be seen through that window.

In short amount of time, the door to the airstream opened, and Mom looked in. She said everything was fine, and I've remembered the day since.

After that, my sister and I were given a lesson of "Bear Etiquette" and I drew a picture of the bear because I never wanted to forget it... well, now the picture's gone, but I never forgot- and something tells me that, even if I did still have that picture, I doubt I would've been able to discern much of something I drew when I was four.

<font color="LimeGreen">I told that story to someone and they said I should put it here -- so I did! I just shared this because I could, it was not really written for someone to critique it -- but if you want to you can.</font>

Dragyn

Re: A true Story
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »

Ooh...there's something in the Stories section, now!

By the way, the blue text is a little hard to read in Ramjik's theme.  I can read it though, so it's all right.  (I'm probably the only one here who uses more than one theme...)

Nice story.  I know better than to critique it, though.  I doubt anything I say would make it any better.

Faith

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »

There, haha! It's green!

Anyways, you aren't the only one - I've already gone through them all, and am at the beginning again.... I think I'll change it now...

And what you have to say can make it better.   :)

Dragyn

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »

Hmm...I really need to make more of those themes...

If you have any suggestions as to "Who", put it in it's own thread, or PM me, or something.

Green works much better.  Also, I still find the line "splitting cedar logs to support us" hilarious.    :)

Faith

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »

*Laugh!!!*   :D

I have an idea! I'll send it to ya'.   :D

spookty

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »

Heh. I so forgot to comment on this thing. But, yeah, I'd probably end up droppin' the sandwich and slowly backing away or something XD

Faith

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »

My sister said she'd chuck the sandwich at the bear... somehow, I just don't know if it'd be wise to hit a bear in the face with food -- it might ignore you and eat it, but if some little twirp threw their food at me and I was a big hungry bear, I don't think I would have eaten the sandwich...
But only if I were a bear.   ;D

Is that how you spell twirp?   :-/
Is twirp even technically a word?   :-/

Dragyn

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »

I think it's spelled "twerp", and that it's a slang word...so yeah, it's a word.

(It shows up in this computer's dictionary, so I guess it is, anyway)

Faith

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »

Oh, what do you know! It is a word!!!   ;D

I was hoping I wasn't speaking jibberish....

But, I still think I should have used more than one word for the bear...

"The big black bear...
the giant black bear...
black bear...
black bear...
black bear..."

Gets old.   :P

allicat

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »

I remember that day, Faith! I was under the airstream!
(Wasn't I? Your memory is way better than mine.)

allicat

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

haha! funny tale! yep allicat, you were under the airstream at first... You disappeared so fast that I couldn't tell for sure where you went! She must be talking about after that. You weren't real clear on what was taking place, just that it got a frantic. You were taught that in the woods when you hear certain phrases (there were alot of cougers in the area as well...) that wild animals were afoot and to get hid fast....
I couldn't beleive that Faith wasn't scared at all... Stunned perhaps, but no fear... Also having been taught that if the dogs were there they would protect her... The bear didn't seem to agree.
Later we learned more, that the bear was actually thirsty. He was drewling everywhere, (making him look more terrifying) wich we learned they (like dogs) do when they are hot and thirsty... We were just between him and the creek...
'Splitting cedar logs,' also known as 'cedar beating.' Ya ought to see the looks on the faces of prospective employers when they read that...   ;)  lol....
Fun times... Fun times...

Faith

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »

Hm... yeah...
Hm... it seems strange, to me, that Allicat appears to be talking to herself... Kitkat...   :P

But, yeah, under the airstream. You said you saw the bear, but only from under the airstream...

Mh-hm... I think it's safe to blame that on the stupidity of my youth.   :P

Hm... now that I think about it, I'm thirsty, too... I think I'll gt some water... but, 'till then, gotta' go.

Dragyn

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »

Ya' know, you can have it log you off automatically after a bit, to help keep straight who's saying what...you might consider that.

Faith

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »

Yeah... it already does that... but I don't think Kitkat knows how to log off... I thought she did... but I'll have to ask, now.

Hehe... I just looked at my adds... they were amusing... but the last one made me laugh, the most...   ;D

California Grizzly Bear, Bear Attacks, Bear Hunting and Pooh Bear.

Fox

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

I kept on telling myself I'd read this later..but always forgot about it. XP

I think if I saw a bear, I'd throw a sandwich at it, too. XD 'Course....around here....most people are armed with guns when going somewhere like that. Either that, or they try to wrestle it. We've done that with alligators & snakes. =D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up