Canon Fodder

• March 28, 2024, 06:56:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light of Ar'Kandur  (Read 6131 times)

Dragyn

Light of Ar'Kandur
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »

<center>The Light of Ar'Kandur
A 15 Minute Story
By Tim “Dragyn” Reed
(Written 3/7/08)</center>

The sun shone darkly over the vast plains of the land of Ar'Kandur.  Darian walked along the beaten path calmly, ignoring the fact that the sky made no sense whatsoever.  He was used to it.  Not much made sense, around here.  Nothing ever had.

Darian himself didn't make much sense.  Looking at him,  one might assume him to be a shapeshifted werewolf.  One may instead assume him to be a werecat.  Technically, he isn't either of these.  He is both.  It should come as no surprise that he doesn't expect things to make sense, these days.

As he walked by the fields of farmer Jones, he waved to the old farmer, who waved back, taking a break from watering his crop of noisy children.  Darian had once asked Jones why he raised children.  Jones had answered simply, but quickly; "It keeps the crows away from the house."  

Not many things could stand the cacophony generated by a field of children.

As Darian neared his home--little more than a hole in a natural brick cliff--the sun dropped abruptly below the horizon.  In its stead, the moon appeared, reflecting the darkness of the sun brightly.  

The kittywolf pondered briefly the logic of sleeping through the one time of day wherein it was brightly lit, and turning on lights when you awoke.  He didn't worry about it long, as he slid into a peaceful sleep shortly thereafter, nestled in his brick and mortar bed, hiding from the invading light of Ar'Kandur.

So there, a story, written in 15 minutes.  I'll probably put it in the extras on Beastling and PE, as well.  

Critique away!

Faith

Re: Light of Ar'Kandur
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

Heh.   ;D

You most certainly were right about it being weird. But then I get the impression that it was quite intentional.
The, "raising children," bit and capability of things to withstand them made me laugh... ^_^

I wonder what this place would look like...   :)

Fox

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »

As much sense as Dubiland! =D

Pretty cool sounding, really. One of those places that would be really fun to see illistrated.

The paragraph about the children.....sent a slight chill down my spine..as it seemed eerily similar to The Messengers. XD Gosh that was a freaking creepy movie....O.O; Anyway. It's short, it's simple, it's weird. That's what makes it great. ^_^

Dragyn

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »

The Messengers?  Must be a movie, by the sentence you followed it with--which would explain why I'm not familiar with it.

Hmm...how, exactly, would you propose illustrating the sun shining darkly?  I'm curious, now.

Fox

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »

In an effect similar to how you would do the moon. The sky would be dark, and the sun would be emitting a dark, orangey glow. I'd have to actually do it to explain it..seeing as, apparently, PhotoShop & Paint.net have different brush settings. I think it would probably be achieved with the luminosity setting, mixed slightly with some others. 'Tis how I've done similar things..I would assume there wouldn't be much difference.

(and yes, it's a movie. It was a bit of a flop, and only got half a star, according to Dish. It was a lot better than people made it out to be, though. >.<)

Faith

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

Heh...   ;D

I was wondering if anyone would try to draw it...
I would've asked Dragyn to, since I figure he wrote it, but then, he's been busy with college, and he already has to take care of comic updates.

But maybe...
Whoever wanted to could try it, and we could compare the different ideas.
Though, I think that'd go down 'bout the same as the last thing like that I suggested we do...   :P
But, well, no harm in asking, I suppose...
?

Fox

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »

I tried doing it earlier, but I kind of screwed up because I was using my mouse & there was a cat in my lap. XP I found just the right effects, if what I picture in my head is at all anything like what was written. I'll try it again either tonight, or tomorrow before I get to Nana's. (because I'm sure my cousin will be there tomorrow evening. >.<)

Faith

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »

Heh.   :)

Cats seem to love sitting on books, note pads, drawing journals or laps when one is trying to read or work on the computer, or... well, anything, really.
And, when a person is on the computer, they enjoy coming over to play with the mouse, wires, or typing a few things, themselves.   :P

Sounds like fun.   :)

Hm... I really wish I had Paint.Net.   :P
Maybe I'll try that again, tomorrow...
I dunno'.

Well, good luck.   ;)
(Look forward to seeing it.)

Dragyn

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

...I should probably point out that I wrote this story in 15 minutes, and there wasn't any pre-planning at all.  I wrote the first sentence, then just ran with it the rest of the way.

...I might have to try and draw it, if only to see if I can...

Faith

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »

Heh.   ;D
I know, but still... I thought doing otherwise was kinda stealing the idea... ya' know?...   :P

Well it was neat, all in all.   :)

kitkat

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »

Pretty good for a 15 minute short story... Vague, yet distinctive enough to grab the readers attention right off with unexpected details... Not bad. Pretty well done actually... Have you ever thought of writting books at all? I know I'm pretty new here. Maybe there is more on here that would answere me that, but I haven't found it yet if so...

Faith

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »

Heh... he writes a comic, I've told you that.
Have you read it?

Dragyn

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »

Books?  You mean like novels, right?  I've considered it, but I prefer to illustrate things I write that would be longer than this, so I'm more likely to just stick with comics, for now.

If you haven't read them, it might make more sense around here if you do so.

Beastling:  http://beastling.xepher.net

Pending Else:  http://beastling.xepher.net/PE/

Faith

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »

Heh... that's true...

kitkat

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »

Right on.... I'll go check tham out. I just thought it was cool, when I started reading your story I had to ead it to the end (well, where you ended the portion of course). That means good reading material, good writer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up