Canon Fodder

• March 28, 2024, 05:04:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "A man is dead here."  (Read 5779 times)

bloodreaper

"A man is dead here."
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »

So, if you haven't heard yet: Gary Gygax died at age 69, in his home,  on Tuesday morning.   :'(

What do you say at a time like this?    ???

You're shocked   :o , you question the source   :-/ , you grieve a bit   :'( , you accept a world where there may not be a Tomb of Horrors for 4.0, and you move on   :)  -- but you've got to say something.   :-/

Gygax is no longer with us. May role playing and role playing games thrive even without his guidance. Wherever an elven ranger is dying from a poison gas that doesn't allow a saving throw of any sort, Gygax's legacy lives on.

Faith

Re: "A man is dead here."
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »

Er... who?

Fox

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »

I'm not sure who he is, but he was fairly young. ....By that...I mean he's not hideously old. ^^;

Is it wrong for me to have giggled slightly at your usage of emoticons? Aheh...heh...yeah...>.> Sorry.

Well, R.I.P., whoever you are. =3

Dragyn

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »

Gygax is responsible for a significant portion of the rules for DnD/d20, apparently.  I wouldn't know any of this if not for Bloodreaper, so ask him if you want more than that.

Though, Bloodreaper using emoticons seems amusing to me, if only because emoticons are almost the polar opposite of him in reality...I think he's deliberately hard to read.

Faith

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »

*Laugh!!!*   :D

This is a topic about a guy's death, and we're all snickering about Bloodreaper's usagee of emoticons...   :P

Hm... then he's about the opposite of me, in that...
Apparently, I am a book, in extra-large print.

Is that his real name?

Fox

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »

Pff...don't feel too disrespectful about snickering. I've been know to snicker, giggle, snort-laugh, and sometimes turn red trying not to guffaw at funerals.

My uncle's funeral, though, was an exception. It was more of a memorial than a funeral..well..really bluntly put, it was a redneck funeral. One where it was encouraged to laugh. Heh..yeah. Anyway.

So..I'm not big on role playing games like that, so it's no wonder I didn't know him. I am slightly puzzled, however, that I seemed to have missed it when it was announced..wherever it was posted. 'Cause..I'm on my computer all the time..and usually am one of the first internet-goers to hear of such things. o.O Huh.

Dragyn

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »

Gygax was his real name, if that's who you were referring to...

Yeah, I've never actually been to a funeral, so I'm afraid I have no clue how you're expected to act...

bloodreaper

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »

Actually, his Name Was Ernest Gary Gygax, but he went by Gary Gygax. He was a huge Icon in Role Playing culture. Without him Fantasy Role Playing and Fantasy Novels (of which he wrote several, set in his fantasy world "Greyhawk" which is not the standard setting for DnD games) would never have become so mainstream.

This is the man who founded Gen Con and thus made the convention a big thing for hobbyists.

If you've ever been to a geek con, read a fantasy novel written after Connan the Barbarian or played an RPG on any platform, Gygax is one of the people you have to thank for that.

He was just a toy maker, but he left a tremendous mark on the world in what we do and how we think about the things we do.

kitkat

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

Well, I've done my share of playing the games, and reading the books.... I must say that I have much to thank him for.
As for how to feel about his passing, I suppose that mosy people would rather be remembered with smiles   :) , snickers   ;D , and laughs   :D  than a bunch of sobbing   :'(  depressed fans.. Soo I'm sure a bit of merriment    ;)  is just what the Dr. (well, sounds like a little late for that, maybe the spirit of?) ordered....    8)

Dragyn

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »

Heh.  Indeed.

bloodreaper

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »

I think the guy who devised the item that looks like a magic belt of giant strength until you put it on and it turns out to be a cursed belt of  irreversable gender switching, just to mess with guys who play macho fighters, would appreciate a little lightheartedness.

Faith

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »

Heh...   ;D

I've been to two funerals...
One was the funeral of someone my Grammie knew (never met him, and knew nobody there...) and the other was for my Grandpa.
We laughed a bit, after, for my grandpa's... when we found out that my Aunt forgot to bring his ashes...
He said that he'd never go to his own funeral...   :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up