Canon Fodder

• April 27, 2024, 05:23:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Come watch my town collapse into matchsticks.  (Read 4991 times)

bloodreaper

Come watch my town collapse into matchsticks.
« on: November 14, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

So, I've been playing this browser game, called Billy Versus Snakeman. If you want to check it out, please use the link in my sig, so I get some extra points.

A little intro of the game:

The game's setting and rules are loosely based on a number of anime, with the most influential one being Naruto. Having watched the shows isn't a requirement, in any way, but there are a lot of extra jokes for people who know the source material.

For example, most of the characters are expies, characters who look just like popular trademarks, but with slightly different names and haircuts.

Players are grouped together in villages, which provide bonuses based on what buildings they have. The buildings, in turn, require resources, ryo (gold), and a minimum population to maintain. Many of the later quests require villages with a certain upgrade, for completion.

Because being in a small village is so restrictive to to higher level players, it can be difficult for small villages to retain the powerful, aggressive players they need, in order to grow.

The story:

As an S1 Genin (new newbie), I was randomly assigned into "America Village." A mismanaged hole in the ground, built for the apparent purpose of allowing the founder and his two friends to farm monster drops, without much competition.

A while back, our leader made statements to the effect of "I'll be right back," and left town, to collect some quests that our town doesn't allow access to. Solidarity, FTW. He never returned.

A few months of uncoordinated flailing followed, as the replacement leader was just trying to hold down the fort, until the "real" leader got back. Our finances have been halved, in this time, as we've developed a reputation as a poorly defended town,with no coordinated offensive forces, and we lose a lot of ryo and resources to raiders.

The most brutal attack of all came late last night. A larger, better managed village sent a message to each person in our village: "You have been invited to join the Enigma Village." With morale sagging, and communications broken down, we were easy prey.

Our population is half of what it was yesterday. Among our losses are the temporary village leader (just going out to get his Sannin, he says) and the former leader's monster farming friends. The bitter fruit of their poor leadership is ours to harvest.

Most critically, with the population so reduced, many of our upgrades are actually taking damage, from lack of maintenance. An influx of players, regardless of their level, would alleviate this problem, but with so many of our players lost it will be hard to find new recruits (*cough*thelinkisinmysig*cough*).

To top it all off, a monster (a nefarious swarm of "Pokermans") attacked the village this morning, and started smashing up our crumbling buildings.

Why I plan to stick it out:

Some of you might be wondering why I'm asking you to join a village, when an admittedly better one is trying to recruit me.

This is an opportunity. --several opportunities, actually.

Large villages tend to be pretty open to new recruits. That's how they got so large. If I change my mind next week or next month or next year, Enigma village will still be there, and they'll take me in.

If America does turn out to be a total wash, I can just emigrate, any old time, but the chance to see this kind of upheaval is rare indeed. Nothing is set in stone. All of our old leaders are gone, and a new order must be forged (hopefully a better one).

The high level content will still be there later, as well. Sure, DW is getting ahead of me in the zombja (zombie ninja) mini-games that I can't access, and I might not get my storm powers until S3 Jonin, but eventually, I'll get there. I rarely have a chance to play "Turn a crumbling mass of poorly planned infrastructure and a bunch of disparate factions into a functional and organized team."

Though it says something about the number of browser games that I've played, that I already know I like that particular mini-game. It's a great challenge, and I revel in it.

Plus, there isn't going to be a lot of competition for those Pokerman's Pokerballs. I'm now the toughest monster hunter in town, and I aim to get some loot.   8)

Dragyn

Re: Come watch my town collapse into matchsticks.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »

Poor, poor Valenth Critters.

I might've actually traded down to America Village, if only temporarily, if not for the same IP issue...but I'd probably have stayed with Seraphim until it blows up, anyway.

Faith

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »

Okay, so I kinda gave up on them, too...   :P

But you have to tell me...
What was your experiment? XD

bloodreaper

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »

If you're curious, go make a guess in the Valeneth thread. With the truth being so dull, I'm not giving it until I hear at least one interesting theory.

This is your last chance to revel in the mystery before it becomes just another fact.

bloodreaper

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

So, I finally gave up on America Village.

Most of the other people interested in getting organized left, and the village leader stopped playing the game.

Unlike his predecessors, instead of passing off the reigns to someone unqualified for leadership (he didn't share a fluent common language with his subordinates, and had no skill in motivating people) he simply stopped showing up.

His character is still occupying the seat of leadership, and will continue to do so until he returns/ the heat death of the universe.

One way or another, the village's facilities had completely decayed, and we were actually in a worse position than a starting village, by an even greater distance than before.

I decided to cut my losses.

I scored the goofy cartoon eagle off of my headband, and started writing applications for other villages.

bloodreaper

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

Double posting for great necromancy!

In the name of the great Spam, I call for the thread!

Ia! Ia! F'taghn!

Update, on where I've been:

For the past few months, I've been a contented kaiju hunter in Zuiichi village. I have slain many fierce beasts and collected a variety of rare and powerful loot items.   8)

My village values not just that I give +1 to village population, but also my many valuable contributions to the village. Unlike the hole I was living in before, my input is valued and I feel like I'm helping build something worthwhile.

On Monday we're planning to run "The Impossible Mission." This will destroy our fair city, but award each of our villagers the coveted "Survived the Impossible." This is a very nice thing to have, especially at low levels.   ;)

The thing is, we need 50 villagers to complete the impossible mission, and we only have 26. With so many people wanting to survive the impossible, it won't be difficult to get all the people we need, but if you want to be one of them, it won't be hard to get in.

After all, the town explodes on Monday; what do we care who get's in?   8)

What I'm saying is, now that starting characters are allowed to join Epic villages like Zuiichi, now is a really good time to click on the banner under my post.   :P  If you apply to Zuiichi village, tell them I sent you; our leader is offering a tasty prize to he who brings in the most recruits(I could get my Pirate Hat).

I doubt I have a chance, as there are many players in my village with well connected alts, but it seems like a good time to try.

Oh, and don't weep for my lost home; we're going to build a new, more awesome village from scratch. A fierce challenge, to meet with worthy and tested allies-- my favorite game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up