Canon Fodder

• May 04, 2024, 07:00:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slacking off  (Read 4788 times)

bloodreaper

Slacking off
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »

Instead of working on the Halloween pic, or the 100 themes, or doing actual work, I've been finishing some half forgotten pics that were sitting on the ol' hard drive, almost finished.

One of them actually came out nicely, in spite of younger me failing to use the magic wand tool when he really should have. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and show me how I should have done it.

Anyways:

There you go.

Fox

Re: Slacking off
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »

I did not comment on this. Shame on me.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I like it. The effects and shading are both great, and I envy your ability to draw buildings that actually look like buildings, in the background. =D

Faith

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »

*Laugh!!!*   :D

Nice.   ;)
The shading and effects on the individual and the blade, as well as the cloudy bit flying around in there, are nice.   ;)
The bit of cloth is a nice touch, on the hilt. Also the lazer-like bits flying around are neat. I might suggest fading 'em out a little, where they're coming from, or some extra on the larger green ones give more of an impression of motion and light. Though they're neat, no matter.
When did you start this?

bloodreaper

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »

With the exception of the one under his feet, the houses were drawn using the line tool, turned up to a very high width. The domes are done with PDN's round ended line mode. You can draw them in a separate layer than the sky itself, so you can add stars or whatever later.

The shading was done with a very transparent black brush on seperate layer. You can't see the individual strokes, because it takes several passes over the same spot to get a visable impression.

This feels like wasted effort, since the compression makes the whole thing look splotchy anyway.   :P

I tried blurring the shading layer to make it softer, but that probably did more harm than good, by weakening the shading around the edges.

I would resent the implication that lasers need a sense of motion, but some of these things are clearly projectiles that should have a referencable velocity, and not just beams.

Because of the way younger me merged the layers in the wrong order, and then saved it, blurring the projectiles would have messed up the lasers. I like the beams more so I kept them intact, at the detriment of the tracers.   8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up