Canon Fodder

• May 04, 2024, 05:14:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's time to start something.  (Read 5090 times)

bloodreaper

It's time to start something.
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »

I am finally going to start my webcomic.

I've been putting it off for a long time, because my future is pretty uncertain, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish it, but I recently realized that if I'd just started the thing instead of worrying about it, I'd be done by now.

I plan to get at least three and probably five strips done, before I launch, so don't expect to see this in the next few weeks, or anything like that.

I would like your (each of you) advice about something.

Which of these panel sizes do you prefer? (There's still some lighting work to be done on this panel, but it's close enough for this purpose.)

50%?

or 75%

I intend to use a fairly vertical layout. Establishing shots, like this, will be full size, while less critical panels might be one quarter this size, so they can be placed two to a row.

I'm not sure how much I want to simplify the colors on the smaller panels, but they won't have as much detailing, even if they aren't black-and-white, so as to produce them in a reasonable time frame.

This picture here reached it's current state in just one afternoon, but I'm going to take a break before I finish it, so I guess it counts as more than a day.

Edit: I'm also thinking about moving the strip of paper, or even re-doing it smaller and neater.

Fox

Re: It's time to start something.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »

I think 50% is just fine. If it's just one panel, 75% may lead to page-stretching, on some peoples' monitors.

It's pretty groovy, that you're starting. You have a rather..interesting mind...but in a good way. A really good way; looking forward to it. C:

Dragyn

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »

Well, I note that the 75% is only 750 pixels--that shouldn't scroll unless you're using less than 800 x 600, and 800 x 600 is often the smallest a monitor supports, anymore.

I prefer the larger 75% one, myself--but I'd suggest making the less important panels half to a quarter that.

bloodreaper

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »

Okay, here's a rough prototype of what I'm going to be using.

Please excuse the crudeness of this mockup. It's been compressed to death, in order to get it into Forumsigs.

Those red dashes at the bottom used to be text. Yeah.

Theoretically, a higher quality version will be used as the final product.

Aside from that, I'm curious to know what you think of the layout itself.

I originally planned to have the row underneath be no wider than the large panel, but I made a resizing mistake, and I decided to see which way you guys thought was better.

Faith

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »

Cool.   :D

I like the bigger one, myself. But then my monitor is pretty wide.
But, really, I think the littler one isn't so great because of the loss of detail. I like the detail.   :)

Well, for the row/larger panel, it depends on what you do with it.
(To me, anyway.)
You can make a sort of border to tie it all together. Or not, as a lack of border looks interesting, too.
If you like the appearance of the panels being a little scattered, it's good. That can always be fun to play with. But it has to look... intentional. And like it's something of a theme or organization, even if that theme or organizational method is random.
If you suddenly made all of the others perfectly square, or randomly made some square and others like this, it might bother my OCD. Unless they're all just random, period. It's fine if, say, important ones or the beginning or a chapter or something is one way and the rest the other... but...
Okay, I'm weird. XD
It's probably just a personal thing, but I am a little odd about things like that.   ::)

Neat, though.   :)
I like it. ^-^

Heh. Knowing you, I bet it'll be a great comic.   ;D  

bloodreaper

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »

The border is transparent, so I can mess around with different borders in the webpage, and have them all match, with minimal fuss..

i.e. I'll just put a different border behind it, when I decide which kind I want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up