Canon Fodder

• May 06, 2024, 07:13:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Book Thread  (Read 8897 times)

bloodreaper

The Book Thread
« on: October 26, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »

I like books, and besides reading them, the best thing to do with books is share them.

If you have the stomach for epic length novels, Musashi is a good one.

It's a fictional story based on the life of the famous samurai Musashi, who invented dual wielding, at least with the later
standard katana & wakazashi pairing.

You can find the first book on google books, here:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=FWNor84X_vQC&dq=Musashi

There's probably a better way to get PDF quality books on the internet, but I haven't seen it.

Of all the characters I find Takuan to be my favorite. He's a crafty one, but he's generally got people's best interest at heart, when he's making them miserable, and foiling their plans. He's always one step ahead, saving people from themselves, whenever possible.

Faith

Re: The Book Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »

Heh.    :D

This seems like an potential thread.   :)
And that sounds like an interesting series...

Heh... I'm about to read a book for school. So, yeah, I guess that's about as exciting as you make it.
Genre requirement is Classic. So I found Dracula.   ;D
It's quite possible that it'll be much like a corny, old-fashioned horror film. But then it might also be tasteful, in a different from the norm kind of way.

Either way, anyone familiar with it? (If so, what do you think you'd rate it, one to ten?)

spookty

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »

Hmmm.

Well, Evil Genius and Genius Squad were awesome.  I'd have to say my favorite character there was Thaddeus [giving away his real name is a big huge nono since you learn it right near the end of the first book so there].  In the second book, I kept wondering how a fifty year old man kept pulling off all the stuff he friggin' did.  I absolutely love the way he interacts with the main character, Cadel, in the second book.  Actually, I went and bought them both later.  They're shiny.

Right now I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  It takes place in Germany while Hitler was still around, and I actually like all the characters so far.  His other book, I Am the Messenger, is also really good.  The ending is pretty trippy.

Also, I really want one of those Valenth thingies now.  Jerks.

Faith

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »

Heh.   :)

Hm... I've started the Discworld series, seeing as I'd been intending to for so long. Turns out I did read something from it.   :P
It was a long time ago, though... perheps my first year in middle school, or towards the end of elementary. It was interesting, to do with the eigth daughter of an eigth son who was supposed to be a boy, also. Hm... it was a good book. Eskarinna, or something, was her name... called Esk.

kitty cat

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »

i need to read a historical fiction for school. any suggestions?

Faith

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Hm... for your grade?
... ... ...

I'm not sure. I'm not sure what people would prefer to read for my grade, even, to be quite honest... sorry. Maybe someone else would be able to help you...?

bloodreaper

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »

Musashi is good, but probably beyond your reading level.

War and Peace is pretty dry and reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyyyy looooooonnnnnng.

Catch 22 would be highly inappropriate.

Everest is supposed to be really good, but I only saw the movie.

I think I left copies of "The Queens Smuggler" and "Tyndale" and your house somewhere. Those would be excellent for the job, if they're long enough.

The first of those two was actually something I was assigned to read as historical fiction some years ago. I don't think I finished it.

Read whatever you want into that.

Gryphor

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

i am reading Harry potter 6 for school.

bloodreaper

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »

If you liked Discworld, I reccomend going back near the beginning of the Rincewind saga to really get an understanding of what's going on.

Sourcery is particularly good and explains the deal with the Eighth Son of an Eighth Son of a Wizard, thing. (A person matching those criteria will be a sourceror, and inevitably bring about the Apocralypse. That's why wizards aren't allowed to marry.)

As for Dracula, when reading it, bear in mind that, when it was written, the fact that Dracula is a vampire was the twist.

Naturally, that particular spoiler is expired.

Faith

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »

That's a random assortment of pictures in your avatar, Gryphor... XD

Heh.   :D

Rincewind? Hm... so that's the series which the Discworld series was based on?

Well, it's not that bad, for a book composed entirely of diary entries, business logs, letters and bits of printed news. Never mind the fact that a person in predicaments like theirs would probably (hopefully) not actually waste time writing in diaries while they were faced with possible death(s). Though they remember an impressive amount of dialogue, for being in those situations...

It gets kinda boring when women are getting all chummy in their happy little, "My dearest, forgive me for taking so long to write, I have so much work to do. So how is your romantic life? Have you many suitors?" letters. Right after the "Might die, vampires are after me." part.

Also, the guy can take a page and a half to run in circles tossing words around in a somewhat random, repetitive manner.
He's trying to be suspenseful, that's fine, but he says the same things multiple times, sounds like he's finished at, "All right, let me be factual." and then continues circles for another half-page. He stops doing that quite as much toward the end, though.

Other than that, it's not bad.

Did you read it? Or would you just be saying that due to the time it was written?

bloodreaper

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »

That's just something I'd heard from a number of different sources. I never read the book, personally.

Also, if you didn't like Dracula, because the old fashioned, dodge Franenstien.

I realize that taking notes on your observations is an important part of science, but when your monstrous creation is blackmailing you, it's time to stop writing down more evidence.

Faith

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 04:24:00 AM »

*Laugh!!!*   :D

Well, the most interesting parts of Dracula were at the very beginning and toward the end, true. And then the very end was far too abrupt, simple, for my liking. But oh well. It wasn't a terrible classic, for sure.
My worst luck is with Biographies. I pick duds. It's like I'm programmed. XP

Hey, maybe while we have this going, I can ask for suggestions, like Kitty did...  
Please, save me from another boring self-select Biography!!!

(Okay, that last was a bit dramatized. But one can only stand so many difficult novels.   :P  )

bloodreaper

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »

I make a point of only reading biographies of dead people. That way I know I'm going to either like the guy, or get a happy ending.

Dragyn

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »

Yeah, spoiler warning:  He dies at the end.

My English teacher actually told me that about the biography I read...

Faith

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »

*Snrk!* XD

You seem somewhat morbid sometimes, Bloodreaper.
And saying that with your forum name in there didn't help make you sounds any less so... ... ... XD

What biography did you read, and why does your English teacher say that? XP
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up