Canon Fodder

• May 03, 2024, 08:09:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]   Go Down

Author Topic: What games[if any] are yous playin'?  (Read 86507 times)

Fox

Re: What games[if any] are yous playin'?
« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

I don't know what a QTE is. I just play games. XP

bloodreaper

« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »

They're those little button press mini-games, where a row of buttons appears, and you have to push them in order.

They've been all the rage in boss fights, ever since God of War made them big.

In some games I don't mind them, but I remember how much I hated the Giant Coral Snake in Lair, and I'm afraid it'll be more of that.

Curse you giant coral snake! Curse your awesomeness!

When your dragon is about to be eaten by a giant coral snake, you want to watch the action, not watch the little picture of a controller at the bottom of the screen to see which way you need to dodge.

Same goes for jumping onto his face and stabbing him in the eye.

Did I mention that messing up this critical move will cost you your entire life meter? The heightened tension was nice at first, but replaying that level more than once could never be worth the effort.

I think stupid things like that are what led to this equally silly "Never put anything on the screen" philosophy, where health meters and score counters are no longer allowed.

Fox

« Reply #497 on: September 25, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »

Ah, yeah. I gave up on Lair. I can't seem to beat those stupid black dragons in the beginning. :< I'll likely do it, though. In another 4 years. Hey, I beat those dang Yarrows in Darkened Skye! I can do this!

Anywho. I know what you're talking about, now. Heavenly Sword was the first one I played that had that feature..and I'm really not that crazy about it. I loved Flying Fox too much! I didn't want to stare at little buttons, I wanted to watch him! XP

bloodreaper

« Reply #498 on: September 26, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »

You gotta use Rage Mode to get into melee, or hit them with a Takedown Move. Normal attacks will take them down to 1 HP, but then they stop hurting them. No that doesn't make any sense.

If you can't do takedowns yet, and you aren't good in melee, soften them up with some charged shots before you close in, since they can hit pretty hard.

The Bridge level was the worst one in the entire game. Since it's supposed to serve as a morale tutorial, there's a lot of really heavy scripting, that messes with the moral meter, so it doesn't act anything like the actual game.

Which is stupid; the moral meter is the absolute crux of the battle system, and the flawed understanding of how it works, that the tutorial gives you, can cost you a lot of battles later on.

The whole game is really hamstrung by stupid decisions like that, but it has it's moments.

I still look back fondly on memories of ripping a battle rhino's skull out of his face and then throwing it through a battleship.   ;)

Fox

« Reply #499 on: October 01, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »

Weeell...a lot of people hated Lair due to it's "Sixaxis-only" controls..but honestly, that doesn't really bother me. My main gripe is that you have to do things within a certain time limit..and that's always been my weakness. :C

bloodreaper

« Reply #500 on: October 02, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »

Yeah, there was never a level where you could just go around destroying things with your awesome draconic might.

There were always places you absolutely had to be, usually two or three at once.

It's got no replay value on that account. It's a game I'll never go back and play, because there's nothing left to do, that won't get you a "Game Over!", for not doing something else.

One of the many bad ideas that hurt that game. An artifact from the Rogue squadron games, that failed to capitalize on the good ideas in the engine.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]   Go Up