Canon Fodder

• May 22, 2024, 02:13:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Down

Author Topic: What games[if any] are yous playin'?  (Read 88142 times)

Faith

Re: What games[if any] are yous playin'?
« Reply #480 on: September 04, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »

*Laugh!!!*   :D

That... really rather amuses me, Bloodreaper...   ;D

Mutant cyborg-demon omni-ultra-anti-drunk, stealthy ninja, goat, pirate wizards, on flying space lawnmowers with tail-lights, dual thrusters and Heat seeking bombs, wearing neon-polka-dotted tuxedoes and pin-striped ballet slippers, welding anti-Matter wave canons with laser scopes.

This... is getting really strange... XD

Welding or wielding, Gryphor?

bloodreaper

« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

Mutant gen-tech, time traveling, cyborg-demon omni-ultra-anti-mega-drunk, stealthy ninja, goat, pirate wizards, on flying space lawnmowers with tail-lights, dual thrusters and Heat seeking, nuclear bombs, wearing neon-polka-dotted, golden tuxedoes and pin-striped, titanium ballet slippers, welding anti-Matter wave canons with micro-wave laser scopes, onto giant battle mecha.

My characters are no longer all female, I filled my last slot with a guy.

I'd complain that my guy never looked as cool as Legion's pirate, but the need for better armor bonuses has put [Real Name Hidden By Ancient Egyptian Spoiler Tags]'s gun pirate in a green lacy "robe". Rangers get the worst gear, and that says something.

My own princesses (and legion destroying berzerker who looks like he's twelve) have started to sacrifice astetics for stat bonuses as well. Striped armor with a plaid mini-skirt? It it'll give me another +1 to dodge, she'll wear it.

They look like they stole thier clothes from a yard sale, but they shoot steam powered robo-crabs like nobodies business, and in the end, isn't that what life is really about?

Faith

« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »

There are times I think you should be a part-time comedian... your interpretations and explanations of things are always great, and quite a bit better than most of the material I hear from comedians.   ;D

This is getting rather large. I think... we should start using periods... XD

Transparent, mutant gen-tech, time traveling, cyborg-demon omni-ultra-anti-mega-drunk, stealthy ninja, goat, pirate wizards, on flying space lawnmowers with tie-die tail-lights, dual thrusters and Heat seeking, nuclear bombs, wearing neon-polka-dotted, golden tuxedoes, a kilt and pin-striped, titanium ballet slippers, welding anti-Matter wave canons with micro-wave laser scopes, onto giant battle mecha, dreams of drinking mocha and attending try-outs to the musical, "The Sound of Music."  

Hm... after a thought, this thing's attire reminds me of the stuff you said your characters are wearing...   :P

Fox

« Reply #483 on: September 07, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

What fun is an RPG if you can't make your character to look like Obi-Wan or Michael Myers? :<

So, anyway. I finally found Tools of Destruction. We had to go to the Blockbuster in Bay City...but heck..I found it & I'm keeping it as long as they'll let me without trying to make me buy it. :B

Review so far? I haven't gotten very far..but I honestly don't like the controls. The ship levels remind me quite a bit of Starfox series, and I did giggle a little when they told me to do a barrel roll. I am not pleased with the weapon choice so far, either. It's kinda like when you first buy the Spitting Hydra. The description sounds awesome. I mean, hitting several enemies at once? Cool! Then when you finally get it, it doesn't do hardly any damage at all. The best weapon in ToD at the moment is the Fusion Bomb, I think it's called, but you only get 10. Which is slightly inconvenient. By the way..why did they change the Hypershot to the "Slingshot"? Anywho. This game had better get a whole lot better in the coming levels, because it's just not impressing me, right now.

bloodreaper

« Reply #484 on: September 08, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that. I might have to pull that one off my "Find" list and move it into the "Dodge" list.

Rachet just isn't Rachet if he doesn't have a bunch of really awesome guns. --and what would Clank be without Rachet? --A tiny robot that transforms into a giant battlemech, but mostly he'd just be a straitman, with no zany guy to snark off of.

Fox

« Reply #485 on: September 08, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »

I think it's mostly because it just seems too similar to Starfox Adventures/Assult, as far as controls & weapons go. You get what you think is a great weapon....but it takes 8+ shots to kill the bad guy. Besides....the is no sniper rifle in this game. If you can't snipe, where's the fun?

The story is..okay, and the new characters are tolerable. I've developed a fondness toward Smuggler, in fact. The fact that you can finally buy health is great, too..but to make up for that, the enemies are just too hard to kill. Though it is worth renting..just to see the Groovitron in action. :B (there's also no PDA that I know of..and that was one of my favorite gadgets. :< )

spookty

« Reply #486 on: September 08, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »

Tools of Destruction seems a little more serious than the other games, but then there's the pirates.  Heh.  I'm pretty sure Tachyon isn't gonna take the "Best Ratchet and Clank Villain" crown any time soon.  Just wait until you see the ending, though.  Evil, evil cliffhanger.

Fox

« Reply #487 on: September 08, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »

I looked up most of the cutscenes, already. I think it's actually taking title as best Ratchet & Clank game in the series....I..just find that hard to believe. >.o I think I prefer those with more humor. ('tis why I moved ToD off my Christmas list, and replaced it with Uncharted)

Hey, Faith. I finally caught up to you. =D

bloodreaper

« Reply #488 on: September 11, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »

Dwarf Fortress.

Google it or something; I am far too busy playing Dwarf Fortress to talk about Dwarf Fortress.

It's a glacially paced (sometimes literally) game about economics, geology and agriculture.

"Press [ENTER] to create world"

Seriously though, the scope and scale of this game are preposterous. You can randomly generate a planet, and then open it's history books and look up every person who ever lived there.

Mjolnon Carveskull was a female dwarf, and a worshiper of Emnon Giantstone, a god who appeared in the form of an elf, until he was killed by the gblin hero Glin Splinterrot, in the year 67. Glin worked for the Purple Shadows, and evil force that built several Dark towersand temples, and plagues the forces of light to this day. I hope they don't attack my city, as their army is probably quite vast, if they have more than one Dark Tower.

For those of you who don't want to have your eyeballs seared out of your skull, by horrible, blinking, multi-colored E-ASCII graphics, alternate tilesets are available from the online DF help wiki. I wish I knew that sooner; my eyes hurt.

This game is free to download, and play. Full version. No joke. Google it.

It is also really, really slow. The world will usually be about year 250 years old. when you launch your first expedition. The world usually ends around year 1150. I've managed to keep a colony alive for almost 1 game year, over the past 2 days. The apocalypse is not an immediate concern, but it's coming. It is coming!

Did I mention this game is slow? You might want to bring a book. The game pauses whenever you open the help or select a sub-menu, so tinkering unnecessarily will slow things down. Once you get everything straitened out, I think a month passes in about an hour.

--But there's always one last tweak you can make that would make the whole thing more efficient.

If your dwarves are wasting time you want them to work more efficiently, but while you're making them more efficient, nothing gets done at all. It's really hard to just let your city run, so your careful planning actually gets carried out.

I really do recommend that you not allow yourself to become distracted while playing. I walked away for less than a minute, but when I came back, one of my Dwarfs had mistaken himself for Steve Irwin, and died in a tragic Alligator Wrestling accident. We dug him a very modest tomb, since he was our best miner, and we didn't have the labor to spare.

They don't normally act that stupid, but if you configure a character's task list just wrong, strange chemistry can occur.

The object of the game is to do whatever you feel like. Keeping your dwarves alive, sane and prosperous is generally recommended, but if the city is invaded by elves, or seized from below by an army of orcs led by a balrog, or turns out to be built on top of the tomb of an Elder Evil, that's actually kind of okay.

If you abandon your fortress, or simply run out of dwarves, you can send a new expedition or even send in a lone, super powered adventurer to fight the monsters and reclaim the halls for Dwarfdom.

Moria belongs to the Dwarves!

Strike the Earth!

Faith

« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »

"Google it or something; I am far too busy playing Dwarf Fortress to talk about Dwarf Fortress." -?
You seemed to've said quite a bit for having been so busy...   ;D
Do I even want to know how much you would've said if you weren't busy?

Sounds interesting, in a number of ways, to say the least. If I get the time to look into it...

bloodreaper

« Reply #490 on: September 13, 2008, 03:06:00 AM »

I managed to find some specialty font spritesheets, that replace the E-ASCII grafix with actual sprites. You can find them through the official DF wiki, which is an essential resource for people who don't want to rely on the hastily written, in-game help.

To get maximum enjoyment out of this game, do the following:

1: Read the introduction chapter of the help, and read up on the different crop types, and the effects of the planting skill, on the wiki. Particularly note how to use the k key, before you dig near any blue tiles. --Unless you want to dig out the bottom of an underground lake, flooding your tunnels, in which case, by all means, dig into the nearest blue square.

2: Download and install an alternate graphics set. (Actually, what you need is a "character set", the "graphics sets" do something different, and less important). Seriously, unless you want to develop myopia early in your life, get a different character set. I like the square ones, myself, but they tend to make the game too wide to fit on the screen. Nobody wants that.

One important fact that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the help, or the wiki:

< and > are used to move up and down. This way you fortress can have more than one floor, and your mines can go down into the lava filled depths of the earth. I never would have figured it our if I hadn't played other, more straightforward roguelikes.

I just called Nethack straightforward. I may actually be the first person to ever do that.

Faith

« Reply #491 on: September 14, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

Heh.   ;D

That sounds like it takes a lot of space... >.< ?

bloodreaper

« Reply #492 on: September 14, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »

Including the graphics mods that I downloaded and installed, the various zips, pre-converted .png files and other install detritus I didn't delete yet, and the game itself, the folder comes out to a little over 21 megabytes.

Fox

« Reply #493 on: September 25, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »

Well, I've started playing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

I prefer to stick to the original Star Wars storyline, but I must say..it's a lot better than Tools of Destruction. The gameplay is great, as are the characters. The second(well, technically third) Jedi I had to beat was just awesome. He was seriously deranged, and he had those spider-leg things a-la "Zim". Overall, my favorite non-movie Star Wars character yet. I just wish I could pronounce his name. XD

bloodreaper

« Reply #494 on: September 25, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »

I've heard a lot of people hating on the Quick Time Events.

As in, "What more quick time events!? Isn't everyone else tired of these by now!? I don't want to be looking at a row of button symbols, I want to look at the game! WAAH!

Care to give us your own take on that issue? I suspect that a lot of the people who hate QTEs were traumatized by Lair and UT2K6.

Are the Quick Time Events that distracting, disrupting and un-fun, or are these folks just hating them because they already hated QTE mini-games?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34   Go Up