Canon Fodder

• May 05, 2024, 11:39:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 Themes -- Blood  (Read 30703 times)

bloodreaper

Re: 100 Themes -- Blood
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »

I keeps it my my head, where no-one can find it.

Honestly, if I expected anyone here to find the thing offensive, I wouldn't have posted it, I just didn't want anyone to wander in without bracing themselves.

The forum is a bit edgier than the comic proper, and needs to carry warnings when is pushes the limits of the rules, or just good taste.

I'm particularly stringent, since as a mod I've got to maintain moral high ground.

Faith

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »

Heh.

Not saying it was weird, or anything. =J

Whatcha' think you're gonna' do next?
Also, will you ever put in a place available for others to find, or is it going to remain that way?   :P    :)

Oh... I have something to say about the theme I was going to do, while I'm here.
I was almost done with it, but... what I'd drawn... kinda upset me. So I'm not going to finish it. Or at least not now. And if I do, don't be surprised if I don't post it...
Sorry...

bloodreaper

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »

It was one of several linked short stories that eventually got folded into my Torn Galaxy project, so if I ever produce that, you might get to see where he ended up.

Faith

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »

Heh.   :D

I hope I get to see it, then. ^-^

bloodreaper

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »

Now for something completely different!

Light!

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/BaronFelbood/KpoF.png

There will be more of these, so I almost started a new thread, but I'm multi-tasking.  ;P

Dragyn

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

Ooooh....shiny...

That's pretty nifty...

though, his head is a little flat...shouldn't there be more cranium to his skull?  That robe is pretty empty looking...

Fox

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »

Okay. This is cool.

I didn't really notice the robe was so..empty looking..as Dragyn put it..untill I got a closer look, on my PSP. It..it IS. Almost as though he's a wraith.

Dragyn

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »

I suppose he might be a wraith, and that face is some sort of mask...

bloodreaper

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »

His face was intended to be kind of grotesque and deformed, so I tried out a number of experimental shading techniques on him.

The robe is a dark green, where the background is dark blue and black, but the shadows on his robe are actually gaps that I left, where the background shows through. It makes everything just a bit more indistinct, and makes it feel like you're trying to peer past his bright light to see, but can't. It also ties the shadow colors together.

I should have done the shading layer for his face in dark blue, instead of black. That would've popped it out a bit more, and made the light look brighter. Too bad I already collapsed those layers in the .pdn.

No sense in regretting it now. I've got more face cards to do in the flame set, so the lessons learned here will be invaluable.

Faith

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »

*Laugh!!!*   :D

Neat. ^-^
That's a fun but of work, with the shading tecniques and the effects.
Heh. I liked the little fire bit in the upper corner, too.   ;)

bloodreaper

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »

Thank you.

Alas, the shield symbol got maimed a bit more thoroughly in the resizing process. I managed to fix most of the damage, but it's not really the way I wanted it.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/BaronFelbood/KtoS.png

The Knight of Shields.

His W is for warrior, since his set already has a K for king. I might change that up, as there are still some elements of the letter tags that I need to work out. I may use a crown for Kings, and go back and give the knights the K they deserve. Shields in particular, doesn't seem the warrior type.

I'm not quite as sure of the border color on this one. Blue seems more appropriate, but that would drown between the shield and the sky.

Transparent erasers are awesome. Glow filters are nice, but I hadn't used it like this before, and wasn't prepared for what it would do to the gray stripe.

Additionally, I'm curious to know if you guys would like to see me do more of these, or practice my Torn Galaxy stuff some more.

I could mix TG into the cards, but I don't really want to do that, except maybe with the Virtue cards.

Darknes

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »

What would be a good program to use for making pretty pictures? All i got is paint and it make me feel very sad and nonviolent (which makes me even sadder).

Eat my SPEAR!!!

bloodreaper

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »

Dragyn and I are using Paint.NET, becasue it is free, but still fairly powerful.

The Graphic Image ManiPulator (GIMP) is also pretty popular as it runs under Unix based OSes.

If you want a bit more power, you can steal buy a professional program like the famous Photoshop, but they can be quite expensive, particularly if you're just starting out, and all you need is something to separate layers of splines.

Dragyn

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

GIMP can do most of what Photoshop can, but is a good bit less intuitive to use.

Paint.Net is more intuitive than either, but a bit less powerful on most counts, though it's getting better.

bloodreaper

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »

BTW: the Knight here was actually really easy, compared to the Keeper of the Flame.

Not counting all the border elements, there are:
2 sketch layers, that are removed, before flattening(background and foreground);
2 lineart layers(knight and shield);
2 color layers(Knight and shield);
1 shadow layer (duplicated and blurred, before being merged back together. The ground shadows are just part of the rock, only the knight has shading in a sperate layer);
2 background layers(sky and rock).

This is actually less work than doing it all in one or two layers, like the keeper was. Because, I can remove the sketch lines easily, and apply the glow filter to only the shield color layer.

For contrast the Keeper was:

1 lantern layer;
3 light layers, painted by mouse, after all the splitting and merging was done(one of them is behind the lantern and the Keeper, one is just the yellow slits, and one is the hard light you see.);
1 yellow line layer(some of these are highlighs and some are contour lines. --should have split them.);
1 excessively involved color layer (I should have split this into robe, face and detail layers.);
1 Shading layer(--should have made a second one for the robe, to really mess with the eyes.);
2 background layers(black and dark blue);
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up