Canon Fodder

• May 06, 2024, 09:21:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: The ads  (Read 31006 times)

Faith

Re: The ads
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »

Figured that out, afterward... >.<

bloodreaper

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »

"Hamlet 2"

Wow.

That's gotta suck.

Beyond the utter lameness of sequels not written by the same person, or even with respect to mood of the original work (If you know Hamlet, and you've seen the ad, there's no question there.), there's the fact that there isn't much of the cast left at the end.

Granted, Hamlet was a story about a guy haunted by his murdered father's ghost, but I still don't see this working.

Is it going to be a wacky musical about Marcellus, Osiric and Horatio trying to get rid of the ghosts of Halmet I, Hamlet II, Claudius, Gertude, Rozencrantz, Guildenstern, Polonius, Ophellia, and Liearties?

Are they going to retcon the whole original story and just write their own in the same fiction time/space?

In what way can the thing they are producing possibly have anything to do with Hamlet?

This is not an ad with appeal. It encourages no one to go see this play.

--not that there are a lot of ads that could persuade me to see something titled "Hamlet 2."

Fox

« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »

It was a movie, actually.

From IMDB:
"In this irreverent comedy, a failed actor-turned-worse-high-school-drama-teacher rallies his Tucson, AZ students as he conceives and stages politically incorrect musical sequel to Shakespeare's Hamlet"

Yeah. It's not supposed to be taken literally.

Faith

« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »

*Laugh!!!*   :D

I haven't seen any ads for that...
But... I have seen something else... and... it might just haunt me for the rest of my life. O.o
Okay, ya' know how, when someone gets some sort of little device with videos and songs on it, there are often some little samples? And how it's not unusual for them to be ads of some variety...?
Okay, on this one... well, a friend and I found this video, together, and it was the most disturbing thing I've ever seen that involved a panda bear.  
So I'm going to share it with you. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzB6YJUI3....ex=0&playnext=1

(Sorry. It was just the craziest thing, and I thought the reactions would be amusing, at the very least.   ;D  )

Fox

« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

That.....is quite possibly one of the most disturbing ads I've ever seen.

Won't go so far as to say it's the creepiest video, though...'cause the Newsboys' "Million Pieces" video wins that one.

bloodreaper

« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

What in the name of blood and tarnation is that!?

The sad thing is, Mr. Panda's life is actually pretty horrible, but thanks to his cell phone, he knows that there's a better life out there, that will never be his.

Why would that make us want to buy a phone?

Oh, and I'm going to stand by my earlier statements about Hamlet 2.

There's only so many time you can rehash the maverick teacher movie, before it stops being an original twist, or funny, or even interesting.

Honestly, I'd like to find the guy who invented the phrase "irrevrent comedy" and punch him in the nose.

Faith

« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »

The result of people of business and advertisement trapped in a room together, for hours. It's probably as bad as a mental asylum in there. XD
(Though that was a great reaction, by the way.   ;D  )

*Snrk*
Not a clue.
It's pretty disconcerting, really.   :P
Maybe it's how the aforementioned people trapped in that room felt...

Yeah. I dislike it when they do that.
Far as I'm concerned, they're only making it worse.

Oh, I think I know which one you're talking about... with the... well... I'll put it in another thread, to check, as well as spread the madness. XD

Ooo... violence.  

Fox

« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »

"Umbilical cord bank"

Do I want to know what the rest of that ad said?

Faith

« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »

*Laugh!!!* XD

I don't know about you, but I think curiosity would've come out winning that'n. XP
Though with extreme caution... o.O

bloodreaper

« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »

That's so you can always find the umbilical cord you need, if you have to vanquish the Sorcerer of Silent Hill.

Isn't it funny, how no matter how weird it is, any item you need in an adventure game will eventually turn up?

===============

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could write a musical sequel, or any kind of sequel, to Hamlet.

Everyone except Horatio and a couple of tertiary characters (so minor in fact that I once played both of them at the same time, with no difficulty) is dead! Only Macbeth has a higher mortality rate.

I suppose that you could make a play about Horatio singing and dancing about how his best friend killed off all his other friends, while on his quest to fulfill Hamlet's dying wish. I suppose some might call that "irreverent"; I'd just say "stupid" for the sake of honesty.

The quest, by the way, is to ensure that the world knows the truth about what happened that day, and it is indirectly implied that Horatio's story became the basis for the play.

This opens up an interesting recursion, wherein we have a play about a man who tells people a story that become a play that this play is a sequel to.

Still, I don't see it being long enough to constitute a play, without being padded with the writer's personal political vendettas, which will detract from, rather than add to, the overall quality of the piece.

There's just no way to make a real sequel to that. It's like the John Woo Mission:Impossible.

Spoiler to follow:

They killed off the IMS team in the beginning the first remake movie.

Mission: Impossible was a TV show about the IMS team. Yes the title is still Mission: Impossible, but they had to conjure an entire new team.

It's more like a spin-off than a real sequel, once you've reached that point. This isn't a continuation of the same story, it's a completely different story with the same title.

Of course, I always though Woo should have stuck with his strengths and make movies that consist entirely of people shooting other people. The guy can't direct dialog properly. He's always trying to make it more awesome with long pauses, and hair blowing in the wind, and huge panoramic  backdrops. This only serves to emphasize the fact that they're just standing there, talking. --Half the time they aren't even talking, because of all the ellipses he's forced into the conversation.

Compare the train station conversation between Ethan and Jim in the first re-make, with any conversation between Ethan had his generic love interest in the second one. I bet the second one cost more to produce, and it still sucked.

Edit: Just for that scene, not the whole movie. Even with all the flashbacks, I bet they spent very little on that one compared to what Woo spent, just on a random background.

Faith

« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »

You're, er, really hooked against that, aren't you? XD

Then you switched to Mission: Impossible... XD
Are these your opinions of the ads you see as they come?
Or did you see that, elsewhere, and it found its way into conversation?   ;D

bloodreaper

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »

A banner ad for Hamlet 2 appeared on this forum.

I figured that Mission: Impossible was a good simile, since if you don't know Shakespeare, you probably know M:I.

Of course, Hamlet was the Mission: Impossible of it's era. The plot is different, but the style of plot is similar.

Good dialogue, suspicion, cool fight scenes and assassination/murder, are what make them both tick.

Fox

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »

EDIT:

Haha...darnit. Wrong thread. That's what I get for posting at 1:30am.

Faith

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »

Sal'right. I do that, too. But I delete them, when I reailze this...   :P

*Snrk*
Yeah. I know more Shakespeare than that Mission: Impossible. XD
I don't really know what that is. O.o
?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up