Canon Fodder

• May 06, 2024, 04:16:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weaselsplatter: Succession Game  (Read 6240 times)

Dragyn

Weaselsplatter: Succession Game
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »

Dwarf Fortress is an...interesting game.   I created a world, sent out an expedition, and founded a fortress.

Then I ran it for a year, all in less than 2 hours.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Year 1:  (Dragyn)

Spring:
Our caravan of stalwart dwarves has set out to found a fortress.  We shall call it "Weaselsplatter."  Strike the Earth!

We've set up the basics--mason, carpenter, still, farm, food storage, furniture storage, and bedrooms.

Exploratory mining has begun.

Summer:
More exploratory mining.  Nothing interesting this season.

Fall:  
Whoops.  We forgot to build a trade depot.  We'd best get that up before--whoops, there's the caravan.

Ah well, it's not like we have any trade goods, anyway.

Winter:
Why won't these stupid animals stay in the stupid hole?  Bah, I'll leave it for my successor to deal with.

END YEAR:

Okay, so not much happened in the first year.  Ah, well.  Blood can take over, it's his turn, now.

Fox

Re: Weaselsplatter: Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »

"Weaselsplatter"?

That...is awesome. I'm almost tempted to look this game up, but I don't think my computer can handle it...

bloodreaper

Weaselsplatter: Succession Game.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

Dwarf Fortress can be very demanding of CPU cycles (Large fortresses can sllllooooow doooowwwwnnnn, if haven't got plenty of megahertz) and the save files are sometimes pretty massive (up to 100MBs), but thanks to the miracle of ASCII graphics, it doesn't ask for any sort of special graphics hardware.

It even runs under Vista, and there's a Mac OSX version.

It's downloadable donation-ware from Bay 12 games. Google Bay 12 or Dwarf Fortress and it'll be at the top. The whole game is coded by one guy who lives on donations and has attempted to replace sleep with caffeine and code.

The help file is pretty sketchy, but there's a wiki with almost everything you'll want to know.

Anyway, It's time to get in character:

===============================
Log entry, 1st Felsite, start of spring:

For my impertinence to his Majesty, I have been sentenced to govern some forgotten colony known as "WeaselSplatter" in the local dialect, whatever that could possibly mean.

It seems an expedition named the Lost Portals struck the earth about a year ago here, in the name of our glorious nation, The Crazy Treaty, founding the colony that is properly called Bamguskekim.

In the time since, they, and the other convicts sentenced to work in this hole (I'm certain there can be no other reason to come to such a place!) have been wallowing in dirty burrows like worms. They have plenty of serviceable rock beneath them, and yet they choose to carve their homes in the sort sands.

My first order of business will be to correct this injustice. Impertinence or no, they can't possibly expect me to live in the dirt!

Entry 2, early spring: I've been given some notes by the previous mayor, regarding his inability to locate the magma pipe from whence the obsidian we're digging in came. One wonders if he was a dwarf or a short human!

At least these notes on the trade treaties with the capitol will be useful.

Entry 3, midspring:

We've dug a new set of apartments in the deeper rock, but there's some difficulty furnishing them. My new focus is on making our economy flow smoothly. good raw material transport is the key.

Entry 4, end of spring: Elves are without a doubt, the most worthless trading partners possible. They honestly expect to be able to carry away the preposterously inflated value of their offerings in their pockets! Have they never heard of the cart, or even the pack animal?!

Thankfully, some craftsdwarves recently arrived, to take advantage of the quality housing now available. I got them to sign for the property before explaining the lack of beds or doors. They are presently renting some dirt spaces, until their more permanent facilities can be finished.

My miners now begin clearing space for their workshops, where they will produce furniture and small but expensive tradecrafts for our neighbors.

In less fortunate news, one of the convicts, a brewer named Shem Thobthosbnt, has commandeered a workshop near the refuse heap, and begun demanding bones that she may carve. I fear she's been taken by the crafting sickness, and with the copious supply of bones near the butcher's shop, it may be that only dwarf bones will appease her.

Worse yet, without a brewer, I fear we are all undone. A dwarven city with no brewery is like a roach with no head. It may survive in an unnatural torment for a time, but death always comes in the end.

Entry 5, early summer:

Shem has her bones, but refuses to begin work without gemstones. Worse still she hasn't left her table to eat or even drink. It's clearly the madness, and we must provide what she need, a'fore the final stages come.

There's not a single gem in this prison camp, and I've set every able hand to making or swinging picks. I've mapped out a system of exploratory tunnels, but we can only hope we'll strike gemstones in time.

More craftsdwarves arrived, but I sent them to the lower mines as well.

Entry 6,early summer: We struck red zircons, but the madwoman refused them! I've assigned a man to cut them for her, but her eyes are already losing the light. I fear we are too late.

Addendum: MY worst fears are confirmed! the starvation and madness have destroyed Shem utterly! She's rolling about in that awful dirt even now, and shucking her clothes.

On the upside, we've reached warm obsidian, so we've got a good idea where the magma is. Now there's just getting at it, without burning ourselves alive. No trouble for a real dwarf.

I've assigned a layabout to learn the art of brewing, he's done naught but fish in empty holes since he arrived, and it's time for him to earn his keep.

Entry 7, Midsummer:
I've approved a bridge, which shall be known as the Bamguskekim Bridge. Anyone caught calling it the "Weselsplatter" will be flogged, that is, if I ever manage to put together a proper city guard.

I had to have a full survey of the site, to ensure that the river contained no deadly carp, before building could begin. A goldfish that has tasted dwarven blood is a fearsome thing to behold, and I'll not see my engineers die needlessly, convicts or no.

Now that the need is no longer urgent, our remaining miners have turned up several types of gems in the mountain. Clearly, shem's soul was fated to fall into the hand of Armok. May we be so fortunate as to die, ere the blood god comes for us!

Entry 8, late summer:
We managed to get Shem locked up in her room before she reached the final stage. She'll die of thirst in that mud chamber, but we can't risk her hurting anyone when the bloodfrenzy takes over. Still, it's not a fit fate for a Dwarf, to die in hole like that.

The exploratory tunnels turned up a wealth of ore and marble flux, that we didn't take advantage of at the time. I hope to correct this, ere my sentence ends.

Entry 9, start of Fall:

We can still hear Shem howling in her mud tomb. Only the madness can have kept her alive in there so long. Her fortitude is only outmatched by her misfortune.

8th Limestone: Shem's shrieks have finally gone silent, and I've ordered a team to retrieve the corpse and give it a proper burial in a stone coffin. Alas, a glassmaker named Eram has taken up the madness. Is this truly the Crafting Sickness? -or could it be the doings of the red hand? -or is some demon at work, leaving one host to take another? I shudder.

Glass furnaces are being built, and there is volcanic sand here. We should only be able to make a crude green glass, but I pray to the crafting gods that it is enough.

Mid Fall: The supply caravan from the capitol is here. My predecessor ordered mostly food supplies in case the crops failed. This proved unnecessary, and I have requested that the next caravan contain raw materials for my craftsmen, instead of stale mushrooms. We did take opportunity to diversify our supply of seeds.

I have chosen to sell only the poorest of our coffins, which are a major export, here. With this madness staking the fortress, we may want the finer craftsdwarfship for ourselves.

Two goblin snatchers attacked our hamlet, intent on stealing children for their nefarious demon king. Fortunately our brethren in the caravan spotted them and drove them back, one was killed by a steel crossbow bolt, through his chest.

2nd Sandstone:

Tossid, the glassblower, has begun building an enormous object from our entire stock of green glass. If this is the crafting sickness, completing the device should be enough to cure him.

Addendum:
It is a toy boat, of unusual radiance. That such a work could be made from such crude materials... It is a true artifact of Dwarven Artifice. I am thankful that our worst fears proved unfounded.

Mid-fall: more migrants have arrived, including a dwarf with a plan to build a soap factory. The potential for profit is high, and we have most of the necessary skills and resources. Only construction will pose an obstacle. He and his team will provide the labor, and the colony will reap the profits.

8th Timber: One of the prisoners, a new arrival who answered only to "Boots", was killed by a wounded muskox he was hunting in the forests. His funeral was short, for he had no friends in the hamlet, and I thought it appropriate to record his passing, so his sentence's end could at least be known.

Start of Winter:

I still haven't managed to tap the heat of the magma, and the amount of wood we fuel to drive our industries is growing out of hand. His Majesty demands a sustainable system of production. We need that power source.

11th Moonstone:

Tossid's assistant, who cooked the green glass for his boat, a boy named Eral Zustash, has been possessed. It is clearly very different from the crafting sickness we observed previously. The spirit inside him, whatever it's origins, is secretive and it moves him like some form of grotesque marionette. It also demands green glass. Perhaps it's intent is to recreate the glory of Tossid's success?

12th Moonstone:

The creature completed it's horrible work and departed , leaving young Eral unharmed, but perturbed.

It's creation, is, if anything, more sublime than the boat, but it is a fearful sort of beauty. The thing is a bed called Amular, but I daresay no mortal dares sleep in it's presence. The thing menaces with spikes of green glass, and the images etched into it are cryptic.

They are clearly dwarves, toiling or traveling, I can't be sure which, but who they are and what they seek to accomplish is beyond me. I am  governor, not an anthropologist, and there is no written script to aid the understanding.

Still, it is wonderfully well wrought.

Perhaps, I'll make it my own.

Yes, it will be mine.

It is a precious thing.

11th Opal: we caught some goblin child snatchers on our own, today.

My troops crushed one, in the main entryhall. Bax Zemkonkut, if the wallet in his pocket is his, which I doubt.

A creature calling herself "Ngom Snargaspuz, Master Thief" was beaten to death by a mob of angry parents, before the military could arrive.

It will take weeks to get young Bax cleaned out from under the furniture.

1st of Felsite (start of spring):

I've compiled some useful notes for my replacement, and now take my leave. With my sentence complete, it is my intention to return to the capitol and resume my crusade to protect our proud traditions, from the ravages of time and chaos.

--Fin.

Dragyn

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:16:00 AM »

Before I take over again, I think I should ask:

Anybody else feel like running Weaselsplatter for a year?  You can download Dwarf Fortress for free, and I can email you the folder containing the save data, (or put it on the Beastling site and you can download it).  Since we're already recording our log here, I may as well extend it to all of you.

Just so we're clear on this, there's no need to be good at the game to join in on a succession game.  You certainly don't need to have played it before.

I'll just run it for another year, for now, to keep things moving, since Legion doesn't seem interested.  You can always jump in later, if you like.

Fox

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »

I'm planning on getting a game-friendly computer soon..so when I do get it, sure. I'll give Weaselsplatter a go. x3

bloodreaper

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »

It occurs to me to clarify the statement that it "runs under Vista."

It also runs under XP. It's just that running under Vista sometimes seems to be a more noteworthy trait.

Dragyn

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

Well, I'll probably run it for the next year, either way.

Faith

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 05:30:00 AM »

*Snrk*
I'm with the same dilemma as Fox. If I thought I could play this, I would've a long time ago, on account of the fact that I've been hearing about it for a while, now.   :P
But I find the logs amusing. XD

Dragyn

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »

Here we go!

Third year of Weaselsplatter, Spring:

I have been sent back to the fortress of Bamguskekim, better known as "Weaselsplatter."  Population, as of my takeover:  42.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
For some reason, an unemployed weaver has claimed the nicest bedroom in the fortress as his own.  He'd best earn that artifact bed,  else I'll take it from him...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Elven traders have arrived, for what it's worth.  They have nothing worth buying, and won't buy anything we've got that they can actually carry.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Population: 62.
Migrants have arrived!  This pushed the population high enough that Weaselsplatter now has its own mayor!  They named Bossman Stizashlikot as the mayor, so congratulations to him, I guess.

I'm still the real power around here…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our animal trainer has gone Stark raving mad!  I'm not entirely sure why, but it seems he was on the brink on my arrival, and all these unfamiliar migrants were enough to push him over the edge…
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our mad friend Goden, the animal trainer, seems to have fallen asleep on a coffin.  It's not an occupied one, but it's still a bit weird, to be certain…
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Weaver, the very fool who has claimed the artifact bedroom, has been posessed!

Either he'll die, or he'll make something.  Either way, I guess I win.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our mad friend Goden has died from thirst.  It certainly wasn't because we were out of drink.  On the plus side, it won't be hard to get him in a coffin…
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
…and the Weaver went berserk.  He's trying to kill everyone, now.

And now he's dead.  That was quick.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer begins.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A human caravan has arrived!

We bought all their food, since our crops all seem to have failed.  We've no shortage of seeds, so we didn't worry about it.  Ah, well.

We bought their wood, too, but only because it was cheap, but left room on their wagons for more statues.
Migrants!

Population:  69
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A kobold showed up to try and rob us.  Alas, our warriors didn't get to fight him--the humans chased him off when he tried to steal their goods.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another kobold showed up.  He stole a sandal someone lost in the river.

Somehow, I think he thinks he's making off better than he actually is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fisherdwarf by the name of Asmel Amonul has withdrawn from society, claimed a craftsdwarf's shop, and gathered some fish bones (which I suppose is natural, for a fisherdwarf) and some obsidian.

What did he do with that?  He made a mug.  A mug made of obsidian, with clouds made out of fish bones.

I will never understand dwarves.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of our supposedly tamed Muskox attacked our resident hunter while he was eating his dinner.   It knocked him unconscious, and broke his left leg and both arms, but he should recover.

No clue why it attacked in the first place, but the other dwarves in the dining hall put the beast down before anyone else came to harm.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autumn has come.
Migrants!

Population:  78
A stonecrafter, Shorast Usirthikut, has been possessed, and claimed the craftsdwarf's shop--the same one that Asmel claimed just this summer.  I wonder if there's anything special about that shop…
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
He started his construction, using obsidian, muskox leather, and cave spider silk cloth.  I give up on guessing what he's making.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, yay.

Another obsidian mug.  This one's got clouds, too .  It has spikes, though, so I guess that counts for something.
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------
Goblins!

They've jumped out of ambush by the river, and are chasing a fisherdwarf.  Time to dispatch the army!

Well, such as it is.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A kobold kidnapper showed up in the middle of the war.  A stray goblin arrow killed him.

We defeated the goblins, but at a cost.

The death toll is great:

A cow,
5 dogs,
Marksdwarf Meng Medtobthad,
"Obsidian" Kolerib, the elite Swordsdwarf.
The new recruit, killed in his sleep,
A jeweler,
The fisherdwarf,
A peasant,
And the peasant's baby (alas, not even a month old).

The goblins all died, as the Champion entered into a martial trance and slew them all.

The population of Weaselsplatter now:  71
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A milker has retreated from society and claimed a craftsdwarf's shop--not the same one, for a change.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spring has arrived.  The milker is somebody else's problem, now.

bloodreaper

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »

29th Obsidian, Y-203:

Tomorrow, I finally get to see the town I'll govern for the next year. This is a huge opportunity, if I make good here, the kingdom is sure to give me a more challenging assignment, worthy of my skills.

It's supposed to be a peaceful place, with only occasional goblin raids, and in small groups.

1st Felsite, Y-204:

This town is in a total shambles! We have no food and no well to supply clean water.

Some madman who claims to be a professional milker has taken over one of the craftdwarfs shops and is attempting to make something from some old dog bones. He claims to be waiting for the right material to inspire him, but I suspect the old coot is just shirking his duties, whatever they are.

========

1st of Slate: Our crops continue to fail. Fearing that our fields were tapped out, we dug new ones, but the soil there proved even worse. An elven caravan has arrived, and they usually carry food. Some berries at least, will help.

3rd Slate: A small band of goblin raiders attacked the caravan and killed all the elves! I am aghast! I've never seen such a one sided battle. Our own army consists of a single badly wounded veteran who has seen better years. I've drafted a small militia to hunt down these bandits and bring them to justice.

5th: We drove off the goblins, and recaptured the caravan's food supplies. I don't feel right eating this without paying, but the traders are dead, and the people are starving. We do what we must.

6th: I found that madman against, sulking in the lower mines. Turns out he is a master herbalist and and a skilled butcher. I ordered him to help gather eatable plants, but he refuses, convinced we are all going to starve anyway.

I ordered his share of the rations distributed to the wounded, but was told he had already delivered it.

Turns out he's close friends with the wounded veteran, and the man is a hero, who routed an entire raiding party, after the goblins killed all his comrades. I hope that he recovers, and turns out to be less worthless than our melancholic historian.

15th some month: I was checking out the kennels today when I met the city Dungeon Master. I wasn't aware we were honored with such a skilled beast tamer, and immediately st him up with a proper office. I also asked him to train us some war dogs.

20th (Felsite?) : I finally talked the workers into going outside again. I guess some of them were spreading fear that goblins might attack again.

==

5th of Hematite: Our weaponsmith, Kel Dastotsazir, has finished a totemic axe for our city. This is a great boon to our prestige and the axe itself is awe inspiring. It has bats engraved in the blade, and glass and goblin bones decorating the top of the banded hilt, which has a spike. A truly remarkable item.

9th Hematite: Those goblins we ran off are back, and they brought an army! An army! Here! What are we to do!

I've ordered everyone I can find into the fortress and sealed the gates, until we find a way to drive them out and reclaim our lands. We have only six soldiers in any health to be fighting (several were wounded in the skirmish), and the enemy numbers at sixteen! Heavy weapons bunkers are still under construction!

14th Hematite: This siege has me completely on edge. The wells are all outside, so we can't bring water to our wounded. The troops are staying alive on rum and ales, in the proper dwarven way, but the wounded need water. Kel Dastotsazir produces masterpieces constantly, but weapons alone cannot bring us victory, we haven't enough men.

17: Three dwarves, a fishing party, are still outside, and the gobs have spotted them before us! I don't know what to do! Attempting to rescue them could put the entire town in jeopardy!

Supplemental: I made the call and sent out the troops. Five brave dwarves died to save three. They will be entombed with full military honors, even though they are only militia recruits.

These dwarves were conscripted, by my order. Their blood is on my hands. Did I make the right decision?

We managed to kill five before the enemy retreated, but the others will doubtless return with even more soldiers.

===========

Malachite (day?): I found a way to safely survey the volcano, and we have started building a magma forge of my own design. Becasue of material shortages, we will be doing things another way until the fall caravan brings us bauxite, to make magma resistant floodgates and mechanisms. The project has kept me away from my calendar, and I don't know the precise date.

19th Malachite: Migrants to the town this month have raised the population back above what it was when I started. Our town now holds 100 souls.

==============

Autumn has come. The siege bunker is almost ready, and we are making high quality obsidian swords and building them into traps for the goblin war parties. The mechanisims are crude, and I hope to upgrade them later, but there is no fault in the blades.

9th Limestone: The caravan has been sighted! I hope they have the bauxite I need. There's no rock in this mountain strong enough to stand up to the magma's heat, so we have to import.

17th: A party of at least eight goblins has been spotted by our scouts.  They describe one warrior at least as bearing the marks of an elite goblin marksman, and there are fears that more may arrive soon. We have to protect the merchants! I will not stand by and witness another massacre!

18th: The goblin band continues to collect reinforcements. The enemy now numbers 12 by our last count. How many of my brave new recruits will die in the battle to come?

Supplementary log: 13 goblins are moving toward towards us, now. I have ordered my troops to meet the caravan at the depot, and join up with the guards there.

21st Limestone: Another squad sighted! There are now 21 goblins moving our way. most of the new enemies appear to be conscript scrubs of the sort that we fought before, but with their numbers I worry about our chances. I wish I'd build the bunker near the depot, to give us a proper advantage.

22nd: The battle has begun! The liaison from the capitol insists on working out every detail of the trade treaty, while the fighting goes on outside our gates! My men are dying out there to defend his caravan, and he has the nerve to argue the price of it's goods!

23rd: The battle rages on, but no outcome can make me joyful now.

The goblin leader slipped into the fort during the fighting, and killed all the wounded soldiers in the infirmary. His murder of six worthy dwarves in their sleep, will go unavenged today, as he escaped back to his forces.

25 limestone: The battle is over, and the casualties are horrible. Only one of my soldiers is still alive, the wounded being killed, even after they were rescued from the field of battle.

Two of the caravan guards survived as well.

The old champion convalesces in his own apartment, so he was safe from the goblin's treachery.

The goblin army is in full retreat today, but I know the cowards will return again, to claim what is ours and sate their bloodlust. We must be ready!

The liaison, this Reg Sashasudib, is still arguing over the types of good he wants us to deliver next year. He wants us to produce toys! Toys! Is that what this colony was founded for? Is that what these people are dying for? 88 dwarves live in Bamguskekim Halls, and they do not make toys for Reg Shasasudib to sell to spoiled noble children!

After this I would not give one sunberry to his caravan, if I didn't need that bauxite. Our forests are fiercely over-harvested,  and the magma forges cannot be built without it, unless I want to expose them to the fire imps that live in the magma pipe.

Twelve of ours and five of his died in the past three days, and he prattles on as though nothing happened!

I loathe him almost as much as that murdering goblin sneak, who no doubt earned command of his battalion with his cowardly tactics.

8th Sandstone: The wagons left today, leaving me with no far to little bauxite. Reg remained here, to continue "negotiating". How I despise him!

10th: Sashasudib finally left today! He had the nerve to say how much he looks foward to seeing me next year! Does he not know about the annual nature of my position, or is this some sort of insult?

16: one of the heavy lifters in the farming sector has taken over a crafting facility and started gathering the most bizzare assortment of materials imaginable. Fish bones? copper ore? red zicrons? leather made from a dog's skin? Where is he even finding these things?!

23: That guy started work on his project today. He's added some stone blocks, some metal bars, and some more varieties of gems, some of them aren't even cut. Clearly he's building a sink for the kitchen, as it's the only item that isn't being consumed to make it.

28: Migrants arrived. They told us the town is considered a very dangerous place, since I took over, but they were willing to face the danger to make their fortune.

Those are just the kind of brave souls we need out here. I set to work providing them with proper armor and squad assignments.

====

Late autumn: A tribe of monkeys got caught in the blade traps we set near the Weaselsplatter Bridge. The mess is horrible, but I'm still pleased to know they are effective. How I'd love to see that skulking assassin ground up in one of these babies!

=====

Winter comes: I'm putting in some new bunkers, near the depot, I want to be ready for anything.

15th Moonstone: Another raiding party attempted to attack the city. fortunately they tried to cross the Weaselsplatter Bridge. At least half the band was spread across the landscape. I'm thankful that the water under that bridge doesn't flow into our well.

The remaining goblins fled without making contact with our forces.

22 Moonstone: The gobs ambushed one of our trap mechanics today, and our forces couldn't reach the site in time.

As fate would have it, the old champion, Buckler Zonziril came out of retirement today to rescue our dwarf.

The very sight of his screaming charge sent the enemy fleeing out of the territory, with no blood spilled. He reached the area from his apartment in the lower housing district, before our patrols could even get half way across the field.

It is an honor to have such a warrior under my command.

23: A kobold thief was chased off by one of our dogs today. I with I'd been there to see it.

28 Moonstone: A titan is approaching the town!

We will wait inside and hope the traps wound it badly enough that we can kill it.

Supplemental:

We believe the creature is Okang Melbikor, the Grizzly Yore! This being has existed since the creation of the world itself! Is she even mortal? Can such a thing be killed?

5th Opal: Scouts report that Okang has made little progress since she was sighted, because she is missing one leg. The agony of her wound causes her to pass out every several pick-lengths she travels. This is a misfortune for her, but it gives us hope. If it can be maimed, it can be killed, and perhaps we can end her suffering without losing too many of our own.

Supplemental: Slow as her progress is, Okang is clearly coming this way, and it's not likely the wounded beast is over for tea. Even in this state she could kill several civilians; we have to kill her.

12th: I've allowed the civilians back outdoors. Okang can't travel fast enough to catch a dwarf, and no one is fool enough to get close to her.

The mechanics are laying blade traps for her.

25 Opal: Okang is still creeping towards us. How long has it been since she ate? Do the titans starve?

The tailor has gone funny and started work on what is bound to be the heaviest garment ever made. It's got more cartloads of rock in it than a steel foundry.

28: he tailor wove the worlds heaviest mitten today. I would wager that a fighter wearing it could throw some serious punches, but nobody wants to try it out.

15th Obsidian:We planned to lure Okang to the canal, where our crossbows could complete our gruesome work, and end this crisis.

To reach us, she needed to get through the traps we layer for her, and then there where swords- and axe-dwarves to contend with.

Things did not go how I planned then.

One of the axedwarves did not report to his post as ordered. Instead, Brandon Inethas charged the titan with a copper axe.

The blow to the head he received will end his military career, but the monster is dead. I'm not certain his brain was intact before the battle, but his bravery has earned him a new position as Captain of the Fortress Guard. The citizens will respect him, and I'm sure that he'll maintain law and order well in this position.

1st Felsite:

My time as leader in this city is over.

It's been an interesting year to be sure, and I'm not sure I still feel as comfortable working for the Crazy Treaty, at least in this capacity.
There's a lot needs to change about the traditional way of running colonies.

Moreover, after all this excitement, I'm looking for a less dangerous, hectic assignment, at the least.

I wish the dwarves of weaselsplatter the best, and hope they get those bunkers and moats operational before more goblins arrive.

Dragyn

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »

So...

4 years have gone by, now.  Anybody else want to try, yet, or should I take over for another year?

bloodreaper

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

Those of you wishing you had systems that could run this might have just gotten a Christmas present from Bay 12 Games.

There's a re-release of the current version with a new, more efficient graphics engine. It's supposed to run much better on systems with limited CPU and graphics chipsets.

The game is supposed to run anywhere from 5% to around 300% faster, depending on your exact hardware. It's supposed to help people who were having the worst frame rates the most.

The only way to find out is to download the latest version of DF0.28.181.40d, and see if it works for you.

That is Df0.28.181.40d4, as of this writing.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

There's a page on the wiki for setting the graphics and gameplay options to their fastest. I heartily recommend turning on Partial_Print, if your have any speed troubles.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate

The GL accelerator, probably doesn't work with the new engine, but most of the tips on that page are still good. Alas, our fortress contains both running water and magma, so it might be too much, even if you can run a less demanding fortress site, with no slowdown.

We gotta get another player in this rotation.

Edit: d5 is out now.

Edit2: v 40d6 is now available. 7.5 megs compressed.

Edit3: You know what? Just go here for the latest news:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

or go here for the 40d stable:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Pages: [1]   Go Up