Canon Fodder

• May 06, 2024, 07:54:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION DISABLED due to spam. Please contact staff via email or IM.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Dwarf Fortress about anyway?  (Read 9257 times)

bloodreaper

Re: What is Dwarf Fortress about anyway?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »

If you kill them as soon as they arrive, they aren't too much trouble, but they swim constantly, and leveling up your swim skill raises your strength and agility. That means that if you leave the little guys alone and give them time to train, they become night invincible.

--and my complements on knowing how to treat a war hero. I wonder if one of the other dwarves managed to gouge it's eyes out, beforehand, or something. Normally, you need a ranged weapon to survive a goldfish encounter, as they drag you into the water and drown you.

Darknes

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

the real trick was that the dwarf had a fey mood and made  a helmet. The helmet must have kept him alive because he should have drowned but didn't. The helmet was the only difference

bloodreaper

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »

So, he just climbed out of the water afterward?

I wasn't even sure that fortress dwarves did anything other than wait for exhaustion to kill them, if they found themselves in water. I've been meaning to test it out, to be sure, but I was under the impression that that part of the AI wasn't implemented yet. Hidden fun stuff, indeed.

Could artifact helmets give a bonus to swim scores? --or even prevent drowning? It's the kind of thing Bay12 would put in, and them not tell anyone about.

Darknes

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »

His helmet was the only thing he had that the others didn't.

That was my least successful fortress it lasted less than a season. It got ate by angry elephants. they are not nice. (they taste funny too)   :-[

bloodreaper

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »

Elephants can be nasty, if you tick them off, though I'm told they were even more aggressive in the 2d version.

Google BoatMurdered, if you're interested, and haven't seen it yet.

Elephants murdering dwarves. Dwarves melting elephants. Lava burning everything, forever.

Darknes

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

boatmurdered is what killed me. i saw elephants and armed everyone and said kill them. then we became elephant lunch. when i tried to recolonize elephants chased us and we died again. they are mean.

bloodreaper

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »

Once you've harmed an elephant the whole herd becomes aggressive.

Like the leaders of Kogusan, you bit off more than you could chew.

Of course, the first several leaders kept the beasts at bay, it was when the trappers all got re-assigned to hauling that the elephants overwhelmed the defenses and  forced the dwarves to use the first nuke.

Once you build a nuke in a succession game, you can expect to see a lot of elves, upset over the forests that get burned down.

Thankfully, you can just melt them.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up