Games > Shadow Wolf

Cross-Platform Support

(1/6) > >>

kitling:
Okay, this is a big one. I'd like to see Shadow Wolf on Mac and Linux.

Seeing how you use XNA and Visual Studio 2010 for development, I think it pretty likely that you're using C#. Luckilly, there's Mono, a cross-platform version of C#, and MonoGame, a cross-platform version of XNA 4.0. I reccomend that you possibly take a look?

The other option, I suppose, would be to rewrite everything in something like C++. *cringes* I get the feeling that that's not going to happen...

Here come the rushing waters of the flodgates opening. I hope I don't drown.

Felblood:
I'd love to see this happen, but it's a tall order to be sure.

You're talking about a massive investment in training for a team that already doesn't have time to get any (well much. The point is that this project is set to take several more years.) actual work done.

Plus, we have a major communications issue, which bottlenecks a lot of our production, which has effectively led to a feature freeze.

DW has to get his netcode up to a marginally functional level, before any of the stuff I'm working on can even be used, etc.

EDIT: I know WE talked about this artier in chat, but it's important to bring the lurkers up to speed.

kitling:

--- Quote from: Felblood on October 05, 2014, 02:06:15 PM ---I'd love to see this happen, but it's a tall order to be sure.

You're talking about a massive investment in training for a team that already doesn't have time to get any (well much. The point is that this project is set to take several more years.) actual work done.

Plus, we have a major communications issue, which bottlenecks a lot of our production, which has effectively led to a feature freeze.

DW has to get his netcode up to a marginally functional level, before any of the stuff I'm working on can even be used, etc.

EDIT: I know WE talked about this artier in chat, but it's important to bring the lurkers up to speed.

--- End quote ---

Indeed. Could be quite difficult.

Hopefully, required training would be very little, since MonoGame should be a drop in replacement for XNA. In practice, who knows. The only way for me to tell is to write a (simplistic) C# application using XNA, and then port it to C#. I may try this at some point. If I do, then I can tell you how smooth or difficult it was. 'Til then...

As for everything else, yeah. That's understandable. A fictional priority for this could be 'Very Very Low' or 'End of Development'.

Let's see what happens...

Felblood:
Actually, this really is something we've talked about  doing after the PC version is ready to roll.

If you do those experiments, I would be very interested to hear the results.

kitling:

--- Quote from: Felblood on October 05, 2014, 08:55:07 PM ---Actually, this really is something we've talked about  doing after the PC version is ready to roll.

If you do those experiments, I would be very interested to hear the results.

--- End quote ---
I am installing Windows 7 in a VM now, and I found a game based on XNA that had the source code released. I will post my results if/when I get to it.

EDIT: Installing VS Express 2013. Wondering if it'll ever finish. Thinking of trying to install 2010, instead...
EDIT 2: Just noticed some progress! Still taking a looong time, though. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version